• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tingle Model 1960

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulitkatcher

Pilgrim
Reaction score
So I was at a gun show this last weekend and bought a Tingle Model 1960 .40 cal. pistol. I have looked for a couple days online and can find nothing much about it but an old thread in here where I got the name of the gun and that it is indeed .40 cal. The first shot I put through it was a cast .41 bullet with 20gr behind it using a t-shirt as a patch. Does anyone know what the twist rate of these pistols are?

IMG_20181022_1127389_zpsr3s5bply.jpg
[/URL][/img]

I'm sorry to say I can't help with the twist but they were meant to shoot round ball. You mentioned bullet, did you mean round ball? You will probably find the most accurate load somewhere between 15 to 25 grains of 3f. Tingles aren't rare but not too common either so do a web search which will probably take you to other forums where you may find more info. Good luck.

No, I meant a conical .41 projectile. Everything I have found that would be official (which is only a paragraph from one magazine back in the 60's) says .40 cal. But I did find a guy shooting one on YouTube and he's saying .44. His was a reproduction though so I guess I'm just gonna have to get the dial calipers and figure it out on my own.

Drive a soft lead over size ball in the muzzle then carefully retrieve it with a sheet rock screw threaded into it and pulled with a bench vise.
Be very careful to keep the screw off the bore!
You can now accurately measure the groove diameter of the engraved ball.

The original pistol was developed by Tingle and the rifled barrel was indeed 40 caliber. Barrels were easy to change and a smooth bore version was also available.

When Armi San Marco bought the rights to produce the pistol, they changed the caliber to 44, using a 0.433 diameter ball. See my pictures here: http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/.../post/1695555/hl/Tingle/fromsearch/1/#1695555

I included a page from a period catalog when both versions were available.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a Tingle pistol about 1960, a .40 cal ball just rattled down, I had to go to a .42 ball and then got beautiful accuracy. I also finished off a wounded moose with a lubed .429 44 Special bullet ahead of 40 grains of FFFG. Shot a lot of gophers with it, one out at 80 yards. Traded it to a friend who won the BC Provincial Championship with it. Properly loaded, Tingles shoot well!

The three snippets below are from old issues of Guns Magazine, respectively February 1961, September 1960, and September 1962.
Hope you'll find interesting info in them.

guns_m10.jpg

guns_m11.jpg
guns_m12.jpg

Latest posts

Back