• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tingle 11Ga

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nit wit

.69 Cal.
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Yesterday I picked up an 11 ga. Tingle side slapper shotgun made in Shelbyville, Indiana. Dixe has 11 ga cushion wads, they are .762. The bore on the Tingle is .745 according to my dial calipers. Any thoughts?
Thanks
Nit Wit

I think they will work if you soak them in olive oil or water just so they soften up a bit. When you put the wad in the muzzle it should easily shave off the excess wad material - at least that's what happens when I shoot my 12 ga in the tighter choked barrel in my shotgun. If you have any 12 ga wads handy I would try them and see if this will work in your Tingle before you order any 11 ga wads.

My first muzzleloader was a .45 Tingle half stock, s/n 79 if I rememeber correctly - bought it in 1968 and pawned it in 1971or 72 while I was serving in the USMC and needed some cash.:doh:

I remember seeing several Tingle models in the ML section of the old Gun Digests. They always seemed a bit mysterious.
They were well made but plain looking and mine was very accurate - always regretted pawning it at a shop near Cherry Point, NC so I could go bar hopping with my fellow jarheads!

The famous Tingle rifle and pistol were the basis for the TC Scout Rifle and pistol. They are inlines, with an older appearance, which often confuses folks. I didn't know that Tingle made mule ear rifles too..., aka side slappers...

LD

The famous Tingle rifle and pistol were the basis for the TC Scout Rifle and pistol. They are inlines, with an older appearance, which often confuses folks. I didn't know that Tingle made mule ear rifles too..., aka side slappers...

LD
My Tingle was a standard percussion lock - plain half stock. I bought it used in 1968 and don't know when they stopped making them. Didn't know they made a side hammer rifle.

IMG_1168.jpeg

Here is a left hand Tingle I bought a few years ago. It is a tight 45. The trigger has to be set before cocking. An interesting rifle.

He made mostly half stocks and a slab side target pistol. I won't post a photo as it looks too modern, raised rib and a modern style stock.
Nit Wit
I did some looking after I saw this yesterday. Plenty of pics of the rifles, a revolver, and the single shot. Didn't see any of the shotguns. Are the shotguns more rare than his other offerings?

LD
He made traditional half stocks also.
NW

Back