• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Times change

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I walked to school with mine and left it in my locker all day no lock as I shared it with 3 others and this was in down town minneapolis
I had a beat up '40 ford pickup I drove to school my senior year. There was a rack in the back window where I carried my 16 gauge J.C. Higgins single shot. The gun was always there, nobody ever said a word.
Now they'd steal the truck and the gun.
We took our .22s to Boy Scout Camp to work on our marksman merit badges. I guess now they have a badge for feminine hygiene.

With my Dad a Naval officer, Marines taught me firearms at 10 and 11. Back in the States, I took my single shot .22 on the school bus, and on weekends on the City bus went to the range at Marines HQ.
My first ML was an 1862 Springfield. Put a lot of BP and lead through that rifle!
Helped re-enact First Manassas at the Centennial, barrel got hot enough to burn my hand with all those blanks.
Shot my first deer with a .45 cal Trappers pistol, 20 yards.
Lots of bomb damage still in London and in the Philippines as a kid. In the latter, many tales of barbarianism by the Japanese. Stayed a while with a stone-age guy who had collected heads from over 20 Japanese officers - each head accompanied by the officer's insignia. Found a WWII US Army tank in the jungle, partial skeletons of the 4 occupants. MIA no longer.
I've lived and worked all over the world. Well, not Antarctica! Very few regrets.

Pop smoked 2-3 packs a day of Pall Mall for like 63 years. He was raised on a tobacco farm in KY and started at 7 yrs old!! Was on the portable tank at the end but never lung cancer. When I was a young guy with 4 paper routes and just starting at the circulation dept as an "inserter" (collation engineer) Saturday nights I was always sent down to Ruffs Liquor store with a dollar for 2 packs of Marlboro for the Pressroom foreman (who got me into this mess in 1972). Imagine sending a kid across the railroad tracks at midnight to the liquor store, a miracle I am not a felon! Oh the days we had!

Who remembers, "Lucky Strike Green Goes to War!"? LSMFT
"...The brand's signature dark-green pack was changed to white in 1942. In a famous advertising campaign that used the slogan "Lucky Strike Green has gone to war", the company claimed the change was made because the copper used in the green color was needed for WWII..."

I had a beat up '40 ford pickup I drove to school my senior year. There was a rack in the back window where I carried my 16 gauge J.C. Higgins single shot. The gun was always there, nobody ever said a word.
Now they'd steal the truck and the gun.
We took our .22s to Boy Scout Camp to work on our marksman merit badges. I guess now they have a badge for feminine hygiene.
I think they have one for computer science or something like that.

Pop smoked 2-3 packs a day of Pall Mall for like 63 years. He was raised on a tobacco farm in KY and started at 7 yrs old!! Was on the portable tank at the end but never lung cancer. When I was a young guy with 4 paper routes and just starting at the circulation dept as an "inserter" (collation engineer) Saturday nights I was always sent down to Ruffs Liquor store with a dollar for 2 packs of Marlboro for the Pressroom foreman (who got me into this mess in 1972). Imagine sending a kid across the railroad tracks at midnight to the liquor store, a miracle I am not a felon! Oh the days we had!
them was some beautiful times

"...The brand's signature dark-green pack was changed to white in 1942. In a famous advertising campaign that used the slogan "Lucky Strike Green has gone to war", the company claimed the change was made because the copper used in the green color was needed for WWII..."
,Well, OK, so my memory ain't as sharp as it usterbee. Lucky Strike goes/has gone to war. I used to buy them for 14 cents a pack before Kentucky imposed "Sin Taxes" on Bourbon (all booze, actually) and tobacco products. I gave them up when they reached $1.00/pack. Can't imagine what they are now. In Jr High, LSMFT was changed to, "Loose Straps Means Floppy Things!"

Dad worked for the Philadelphia Inquirer and as a teenager I worked in the "mail room". Remember seeing newspapers coming off the presses in old movies? That was the mail room. Scoop them. Stack them. Do it again. Lots of ink in the air and after work your hands, face, clothes, spit, and mucus were all black.
There was a bar/luncheonette that ran 24 hours and that's where I had lunch. People knew my dad and I could not pay for anything. But I got dope slapped if I forgot to tip.

I remember as a kid in Michigan there were warnings about not eating the snow. It wasn't yellow snow, it
was radio active snow from the nuclear testing in the southwest deserts. Used to find little pieces of tinsel
in the yard. Government would drop from high altitudes to track wind and fallout.

As a child I was with some people who visited a scrap yard near the Black hills, over here between Wyoming and South Dakota.
there was one of the round machine gun turints off of a B-17 bomber laying there on the ground,
people who live there explained that after the war they bought the planes as scrap and the military flew these plains, bran new, an and landed them in hayfields.
and the men drained the fuel out of the wing tanks and got more money out of the high quality aviation fueled and they paid for the whole plane.
then they cut the planes up for scrap and loaded them on the railroad cars and this machine gun torrent that was laying there was a leftover from sometime back in the late forties early fifties.
How I wished one of these people I was with would have let me take that home.

Back