• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Timed 3 Silers today

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Pletcher

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Today Steve Chapman and I timed three Siler locks. Each was a modified one with unique features. We did 20 trials each. We were aware before we began that the multiple differences in these locks would make it difficult to draw conclusions about what made each lock fast. By the time we were done, it didn't make any difference. The locks were so close in performance that the differences were not an issue. In fact, it shows that a good lock can be set up different ways by different tuners and still provide great performance.

An example of the differences is the strength of the frizzen spring. There is a large difference in spring strengths but the performance was almost identical. My complements to Sam Everly on his tuning job. His ball bearing lock (#4) was silky smooth and easy to work with.

My complements to Jim Chambers also. His rebuild of my test-bed Siler (#2) was slightly faster than the other two. It's the one with the bronze bushing. The other lock (#3) was one Jim and I collaborated in 1992. We tested the lock 6 different ways, and this lock has the best of those 6 tries. The MB article was with this lock.

Below is a sheet that outlines the modifications and notes the spring strengths. Note that on locks #2, #3 the pull weight was less going to full cock than going to half cock. That could be felt during the trials. When I add this to my web site I'll include a list of all the trials, but for now here is a summary:

ComparingFourSilers.jpg

My thanks to Steve for helping out today. This is more fun with another flint fan to work with. If I forgot something, I'm sure he'll step in.

Regards,
Pletch

Thanks for the informative test results. I know it took a lot of time do run these tests. We appreciate your sharing the results with us here on the forum. :thumbsup:

Larry,

Have you tested any of the MG Locks to see how they compare to other locks ? Would be nice to know what the dif. is in them. :hmm:

Keith Lisle

Birddog6,
No, I haven't. Many of the locks have been Chambers, with some Davis and L&R thrown in. In some cases it's been a question of being in the right place at the right time, in some cases someone brings a lock to me.

Sometime in the near future I will be getting a Tip Curtis lock to time. It doesn't have a retaining bolt hole, so I'll likely use the fixture you designed for that.

When it comes to videoing locks, we video what ever shooters bring in. We now have maybe 80 locks in slow motion video.

Regards,
Pletch

I just ordered a rifle that has a large Siler lock. It is a left handed lock. I thought about ordering one of the Deluxe Siler's, but I was informed they were not avialiabe in left hand.

Would it be beneficial for me to have the lock "timed", or "tuned"?? Please explain why?? My rifle is going to be a hunting rifle. And I am a fairly good shot, so I definitely like to make improvements if those improvements are beneficial. I ordered my rifle from TVM. Thanks, Tom.

Back