• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Time for Indiana Fox Squirrels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trench

62 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, I'm spending the weekend at my parents house and they live adjacent to about 40 acres of Oaks that are ripe with big Fox Squirrels.

These are my favorite squirrels to hunt. They're about 25%-50% bigger than any deep-woods Gray Squirrel and about half as wary but twice as tough.

This is a picture of my 2nd squirrel for the weekend. These Fox Squirrels are tough and they hold together just fine with thorasic hits with reasonable squirrel charges. I shot this guy through the ribs at about 12 yds with a .437 ball over 30gr of FFFg. It left a nice, neat .44 hole through the ribls. No meat loss with this fellar.

Here's another testament to their toughness. I actually thought I missed my first squirrel of the weekend. He was climbing up a tree with his back facing directly at me. I shot him from about 20 yards and he just kept on climbing up that tree and away. I took another shot at what I thought was the same squirrel and it lept away in to another tree. I reloaded again and just stayed put. About 10 minutes after my first shot my first squirrel falls out of the tre! My ball hit just right of his spine and through the kidney. I couldn't believe he hung on that long!

My father brought in a couple of squirrels over the weekend with his .36 as well. He loads a .350 ball over 40gr of FFFg and takes nothing but body shots on the Fox Squirrels and it's rare that he has much if any meat damage.

Plenty of squirrel for a couple of tasty squirrel pies!

FoxSquirrel_zps2a7e1d78.jpg

I just read over my post. Did I say "thorasic"? That should read "Thoratic". I've been watching too many dinosaur movies, I guess. :rotf:

Trench you are having way too much fun! Thanks for taking us along with you. Might just have to take out my .40 a couple of times this year. Will you share with me your recipe for squirrel pie? Thanks,Dan.

So simple and so good. Cover the squirrel pieces of two squirrels with water and boild covered for 1 hour or until tender. Also add a teaspoon of sald and pepper.

Remove the squirrel pieces and seperate them from the bone. Leave the water in the large pan.

In a seperate pan, fry 1 medium onion and 3 tablespoons of parsley in a half stick of butter until tender. Add onions and parsley to the water and the squirrel meat. Add a drop of tabasco. Thicken with flour or corn starch and then empty in to a pie crust. Cover with pie doe and cook at 425 for 15 minutes or until golden brown.

Dad gum! Trench, you really made me long for my Indiana woods and some fine squirrel hunting. I hunted the woods in Southern Indiana around Jackson, Jennings and Lawrence counties. I truly loved being in those woods and if I got some squirrels, they were just the cherry on top of a wonderful time just being in the woods. Damn, I miss it so. :( Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

Dad gum! Trench, you really made me long for my Indiana woods and some fine squirrel hunting. I hunted the woods in Southern Indiana around Jackson, Jennings and Lawrence counties. I truly loved being in those woods and if I got some squirrels, they were just the cherry on top of a wonderful time just being in the woods. Damn, I miss it so. :( Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

I used to make a dish somewhat similar to yours only it wasn't a pie. I'd cook the squirrel the same as you do but after removing the squirrels from the water, I'd cook rice in the water and then add the squirrel meat back to the rice. If I could get them, I'd chop up some morels into the rice and squirrel meat. De-Licious!!!

Trench, your post takes me back many years....I grew up in IN, Fort Wayne to be precise. Moved to the Pac NW almost 30 yrs ago and miss the fall frenzy of squirrel hunting.

I remember my first squirrel harvest...no, it wasn't with a .22...it was with my TC hawken in .50 cal :haha: Done right, it takes the head clean off. :hatsoff:

Have a ball - wish I was there with ya!

I will never leave Indiana again, and it's because of these lovely Fox Squirrels. Too much history here for my chosen time period, as well.

I too love hunting squirrels in Indiana. I'm a 5th generation Florida Cracker but I have a dear close friend in Indiana whom I try to go see every year and we hunt deer and squirrels. After fuel they ain't cheap but boy are they fun to chase and tasty!

Going back up there for a primitive hunt and camp in the Hoosier NF this December. I can't hardly wait!

Back