• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tight Knife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deanscamaro

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Okay, I know I have seen this question before, but for the life of me, searches don't come up with what I need. Just finished a sheath for my 10" bowie. I followed all the advice I have gleaned from this forum, and did a carved front sheath. The knife is just a little too tight and I remember reading somewhere in here what you could use to lubricate the inside of a sheath after completion (might have even been Wick). Any ideas?
:idunno: :grin:

Cover the knife with plastic,wrap it with tape, wet the inside of the sheath and drive that sucker down in the sheath, let it dry and you should be good to go. :v

Don't get your carving wet though or you could lose a good deal of the definition.

And, just in case in might come in handy in future, when you're making a pattern that is going to be transferred to veg tanned leather, make allowance for the fact that the thickness of the leather means things will turn out too small unless you make the pattern a little bigger than you think you need.

A pic may help, just to see how the sheath is constructed. It would a shame to lose the carving if something other than wetting might work.

Let me try and get a picture on here today. The sheath is sort of a mixed "era-type" design, but just my interpretation and a look I wanted to put with the Bowie. Until later.....
:hatsoff: :grin:

If you did not use a welt try adding it as it will open the sheath a little, or if the welt is thin- a little thicker.

Okay, here are a couple pic's of the sheath. I did put in a welt, although the picture of the opening is not too clear. Just for clarification, the knife is not extremely tight in the sheath, but could just use a little loosening. That's why I was thinking of some type of "lubricant" that might help.

I finished it with a Sheridan-Type finish (my first attempt of a real sheath, after some practice carvings), using Eco-Flo, Gel Antique, Saddle Tan (pretty dark) and did not wipe it off as much as usual, as I wanted some effect of rubbed in dirt stains and age. This is my first attempt at leather carving.

BowieSheath.jpg

BowieSheathWelt.jpg

How is that upper collar, or face piece attached? My suggestion was going to be to remove the stitches, the carved front, and trim the inner edge of the welt all the way around, assuming there is enough to trim. Wouldn't take much to make the fit better, but I think I'd take all I could and still leave the welt as viable cut protection for the new stitching. You could trim more on the spine side than the edge side. All that is assuming that, that collar can be removed first.

I guess that is an option, but the collar is on with contact cement. I may be able to shave some of the inside of the sheath at the top, if I can determine that is where the problem is.

One thing I am trying, and you can probably tell me if you think it will work, is to keep applying neetsfoot oil to the back of the sheath, with the knife left in it, to soften it up a bit and relieve some of the tightness. It's not going to take much.
:v

The oil may lube it, but just letting it sit with the knife in it will help more. I would not keep putting oil on it. Do you think you could wet the back and keep the front dry, or is there too much oil in it now?

It is 6-7 leather, with the welt in between the front and back. I don't think wetting the back with neetsfoot is going to soak through to the front. The Sheridan-Type finish only requires an initial, light base of neetsfoot laid down first to the carved pattern, so the front doesn't have much oil in it. I keep pulling the blade and re-inserting it and I think I can feel some easing up, after a couple tries at oiling the back. Although, maybe just taking the blade in and out is doing that.
:v

deano said:
Although, maybe just taking the blade in and out is doing that.

Ya know, with all these posts, that was going to be the thing I wanted to say right away.
It'll break in after a season or two, and there's nothing wrong with a good snug sheath to begin with. :idunno:

If you can dangle the knife upsidedown holding just the end of the sheath and it stay's in the sheath it's a good thing.

You know, while trying to get to sleep last night, a possible solution came to mind. I have a can of silicone lube in a spray can that came with one of those little red, 6" straws or tubes that you push into the spray head to focus the spray. I was thinking of sticking that down in the pocket of the sheath and spraying some up through the cavity.....wouldn't have to be too much. What think you experts?
:hmm: :hmm: :grin:

You know, the longer it sits, the better it feels. I think it is just fine. Thanks, everyone!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Back