• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tick cloth

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtyDusty

32 Cal
Reaction score
I have never shot patch and ball, but been thinking about it. All I have ever shut was conicals and sabots for hunting. So, my question is, is Ticking cloth a certain type of cloth like cotton or wool? What makes it tick cloth, is it just a generic name for its use for cap and ball?

Last edited:
Would you be talking about pillow ticking? If so, it is a cotton material you can get at fabric stores, it is generally used to make pillows with. Make sure it is 100% cotton though, I've seen some that was partly polyester.

I have found pillow ticking to be very durable patch material. I order mine from October Country. I have no plans of changing.

You don't use a patch in a cap and ball revolver. You use an oversized ball, .375/380 in a 36 cal and .454/457 in a 44 cal.

Ticking generally can be bought at a fabric store such as JoAnns. In general terms there is pillow ticking and mattress ticking. The former is thinner and the latter thicker. You can feel the difference. If you have a calipers or micrometer you can measure the thickness. I’d buy a yard of both, run it through the washer and dryer to get the sizing out, try it to see what works best.

Back