• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thoughts on the smoothrifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Britsmoothy said:
Dutch Schoultz said:
I stand corrected, Tsk!
I will now accept the term 'Smoothrifle"

It is against my educational background so if I ever use the term I woill probably wince bait when saying it

Discovering that I am not perfect came as a shock to me. Most marriages will straighten a person out on that subject.

Dutch Schoultz
No man is educated until three times ten years have passed married to a single women!
Even then your education is not complete, it's just started!
At 30yrs one has simply learnt necessary back peddling skills!

B.

So your assumption is I have only learned to back pedal?

I wouldn't be to quick to judge or assume...

I've traveled the world multiple times and witnessed more in my 30yrs of life than many beyond my age. Not to mention the decisions I have had to make would leave most in their thirties to assume the fetal position. I'd suggest you not make such assumptions before gathering facts sir. Not all millennials are as incompetent and clueless. There are those who have their affairs in order. You grow up quick when you go off to war multiple times and persevere through a failed marriage. Enough said, good day to you sir. :hatsoff:

My maturing came from sticking with a failed marriage for 20 years.
I thought There could be peace even at a considerable price but I was wrong.

I do not look down on millenials who gone off and seen the elephant as the old timers used to say
I didn't face a real war, just the prospect of it in Korea and left there before the "Police Action".
I think it is good, though sometimes painful, to leave the nest where you were born and raised to some semblance of manhood, and seen totally different types of civilizations frequently in a stressful situations.

You begin to realize what is important and what is just trash.

Very few people can look back only five years without some sense of embarrassment. We are, or should be always learning and in that way always growing.

Enough,

Dutch

Very true indeed, unfortunately the modern preception of young folk is vastly overshadowed by the bad apples in society.

I was raised by hard work with morals and values at the center. You get nowhere in life by receiving handouts and feeling self entitled. Many today are afraid of failure, which can ultimately be the greatest teacher and hindrance.

In short, no disrespect was meant upon anyone, however the above mention of only leanring to back pedal at 30yrs of age is absurdly incorrect. That ideal is what often times causes separation between generations.

Enough :eek:ff strolls! Carry on gents!

:surrender: NOT SURE but I took the post you refer to a jest at long term marriage to the same woman. I just hit 30 yrs with my wife (the only one God created that can tolerate me :haha: ) and he may have been referring to learn to back pedal when said woman as she looks out the window and see's you "smuggling": in a long thin box from UPS.

Anyway, dont be too sensitive. I raised three excellent kids and one that may be scoping out yer hose right now (have not seen or heard in 12 years). 3 outta 4 huh? I myself would say that in a hysterical situation many young folks today would surprise you, outside said hysterical situation they might be found playing "grand theft auto" and waiting for the mailman to bring this months "draw". For those like yourself and my oldest who have been to several wars :hatsoff: and thank you for your service. Now find a woman and get back to us in 30 yrs about that "back pedaling" :blah:

I've been happily married again for four years to my second wife and two wonderful kids, the early wife decided commitment and the marriage vows were not important. One of the unfortunate side effects of military life.

Thank you, It's an honor to serve my country for the principle values it was founded upon. I can certainly see that side of it but the above struck me as a coincidence being... 30... I potentially may have jumped to a conclusion on the matter and if the later was the intended meaning of the comment I apologize, have no problem with admitting being in the wrong.

One thing I hate more than anything is the general assumption older, more experienced folk have against us young individuals. As previously mentioned the "bad eggs" conduct generally reflects upon us all which is a darn shame in todays society.

In short if I personally acted like most my age my grandfather would come back from the grave and beat me senseless!

Sorry buddy, I was jesting, joking.
I sincerely was not trying to provoke someone feeling sensitive. Heck I know all about sensitivity for reasons I will not bore you with.

B.

Crewdawg, I've noticed a few other 'younger' folks on the Forum the last year or so. Younger meaning under 40. I find that encouraging. Do you know of others about your age that are interested in traditional MLs and the rest of the hobby?

Jeff

No harm done good sir! Jumped to conclusions so it is indeed I that owes an apology.

The unfortunate side effect of "type to talk". No emotion, feeling or expression so it's hard to judge intentions.

BullRunBear, I know many! As to which, there are those who lurk in shadows! My good friend Silky is on here allot as well. Good guy indeed, we are planning a trek/ hunt soon. I feel sorry for him that'll I'll have to show him up with the smoothrifle! :grin:

To continue this off topic diversion just for a moment, I've met my 3 score and ten and tend to be an optimist. There enough bad eggs so to speak of all ages, but there are many more who are doing their best to make their way in the world. I was fortunate enough to act as a judge at a high school debate tournament today and was amazed at the abilities of those young people to formulate an argument on a proposition from either side and be passionate and articulate about it.

To disparage any age group is short sided.

Now let's get back to making smoke.

Many of us sometimes buy or make MLers that we want but don't need.

I have 3 MLers, two percs and one flint and all are used for hunting and all are rifles...because they're the most suited for the game I hunt......squirrels, deer and elk.

If I hunted game that could be killed better w/ a smoothbore, that's what I would use.....but I don't. Turkey comes to mind and could be killed better w/ a smoothbore w/ shot.

At one time my gun racks were filled w/ my builds and one day the realization struck me that most of these MLers were hardly ever shot. So all were sold, except my 3 hunting rifles. So...I'm not a "collector" of guns either.

Whatever guns an individual wants is his or her business, so be happy w/ your choices.....as I am......Fred

George said:
In 1967 the Kentucky Rifle Association published a book, _The Kentucky Rifle...a True American Heritage in Pictures_. It has pictures and brief descriptions of 100 Kentucky rifles. There are many different types shown, but of the 100 rifles, 20 were smooth rifles, all flintlock.

I remember going through Kindig's book looking for the same thing and being very surprised at the high number of guns described as smooth.

Looking at the pictures you can't see a difference in the smooth and the rifled rifles.

I suspect they were more common in the day than we would think.

Spence

Though I poured through a buddy's copy of Kindig's book many times, I guess I must have missed the number that were described as smooth.

I wonder how many started out as rifled and then in subsequent times they had to clean out/re-rifle/re-bore the barrel, they finally left it smooth?

I was able to examine an original full stock in the mid 1980's in a tiny town in Indiana County, PA, that had been so artfully converted to percussion, the hammer and bolster looked original, though the unfilled screw hole for the feather spring gave it away as being an earlier gun, maybe/probably AWI or earlier, I.E. early almost flat butt plate and trigger guard, large lock, wooden patch box, etc. I didn't have a bore measure handy, but it was somewhere around .50 to .54 caliber. The size of the bore to the barrel was not overly large, though. As an early rifle, I thought the bore had been on the large size and then just smooth bored when it needed "freshening."

And to All,

Personally, I don't see the attraction to having a gun that fits like a rifle and doesn't have rifling and especially in a bore size that won't throw a decent amount of shot for small game and wing shooting? If I had a gun to use for both ball and shot, I'd stick with a fowler in at least 20 bore/.62 cal. Perhaps its because I grew up hunting mostly with a shotgun and only used a rifle for squirrels? But that's just my two cents and worth nothing more.

Gus

Artificer said:
George said:
In 1967 the Kentucky Rifle Association published a book, _The Kentucky Rifle...a True American Heritage in Pictures_. It has pictures and brief descriptions of 100 Kentucky rifles. There are many different types shown, but of the 100 rifles, 20 were smooth rifles, all flintlock.

I remember going through Kindig's book looking for the same thing and being very surprised at the high number of guns described as smooth.

Looking at the pictures you can't see a difference in the smooth and the rifled rifles.

I suspect they were more common in the day than we would think.

Spence

Though I poured through a buddy's copy of Kindig's book many times, I guess I must have missed the number that were described as smooth.

I wonder how many started out as rifled and then in subsequent times they had to clean out/re-rifle/re-bore the barrel, they finally left it smooth?

I was able to examine an original full stock in the mid 1980's in a tiny town in Indiana County, PA, that had been so artfully converted to percussion, the hammer and bolster looked original, though the unfilled screw hole for the feather spring gave it away as being an earlier gun, maybe/probably AWI or earlier, I.E. early almost flat butt plate and trigger guard, large lock, wooden patch box, etc. I didn't have a bore measure handy, but it was somewhere around .50 to .54 caliber. The size of the bore to the barrel was not overly large, though. As an early rifle, I thought the bore had been on the large size and then just smooth bored when it needed "freshening."

And to All,

Personally, I don't see the attraction to having a gun that fits like a rifle and doesn't have rifling and especially in a bore size that won't throw a decent amount of shot for small game and wing shooting? If I had a gun to use for both ball and shot, I'd stick with a fowler in at least 20 bore/.62 cal. Perhaps its because I grew up hunting mostly with a shotgun and only used a rifle for squirrels? But that's just my two cents and worth nothing more.

Gus
My little 45 Kentuckian mounts and swings as good as my fowler's.

B.

azmntman said:
she looks out the window and see's you "smuggling": in a long thin box from UPS.

Oh this made me laugh! I have done that very sneak quite a few times. Fortunately/unfortunately my wife has no interest in shooting so she really cant tell one gun from another. She only seems to notice the "pretty" ones.
Many a time she will spot a new gun & ask "Did you just get that?". Me, "Naah, I've had this for years. Its just been sitting in the back of the safe for awhile".
It goes both ways though. I will see her with a new purse/dress/shoes. Me "You just get that?" Her "Why this old thing? Ive had it for years...".

Ben Franklin was a wise man who knew the key to a successful marriage.

Benjamin Franklin said:
Keep your eyes wide open before marriage, half shut afterwards.

We had a little finical rough spot a few months ago. My wife asked about getting in to savings to get us over the hump. I said well I got a jar of cash in the man cave, if we need it before pay day. We didn’t need it, we got though fine till pay day.
But...
my wife asked, ”˜you got a jar of cash?’ Yeah it’s my gun fund for a winter project, ”˜another gun? What do you need anothergun for?’ Protection from he shoe and blouse monster in the closet. :haha:
This didn’t really happen... I’ve been married half my life and plan to stay that way :rotf:

I think that if you can afford it Boomer a smooth rifle would be a good choice, especially seeing as you already have a fusil de chasse. If you get one, make sure you post some images please :)
Keith.

Back