• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thoughts on SPAM "meat"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited by a moderator:
I recal cartoon of an old man sitting on the edge of a doctors table. He looked like something left by cattle in s pasture. The doctor was saying 'well sir these are those golden years you ate right and exercised every day to live to.'
It's good to take care of your self, but life is too short to eat food you don't like or miss foods you do,even spam

I refuse to eat only twigs, leaves and berries, ultimately dying of nothing at 90 and bitter that I had not lived life to the fullest. Eat well, drink well, die happy....

Where I worked in the fire service in one square of the city was a restaurant called the Harvest restaurant. It was an organic , granola type establishment. There sign stated eat here and live for ever.

In the next section of the taxpayer was another restaurant. Jakes southern barbecue. Their sign stated "Eat here and die happy"

Sorry for being off topic.

On Saturday night Jakes line was a block and a half long! To get into the Harvest you politely asked the line to move over as you were going to the Harvest. :eek:ff :eek:ff :eek:ff :eek:ff :eek:ff

Back on topic the dear wife and I had grilled cheese and Spam on homemade whole wheat for lunch. Also made an extra for her to take to the daycare tomorrow for lunch.

We both like it and have from before we were joined 46 years ago. Looking back it has always been in our menu.

We ate lot's of salmon steaks when we first got married as they were about $.65 a pound and hamburger was $.89 a pound.

A deer, duck or any small game was very welcome same as any fish fresh or salt we could catch.

Being married young we learned how to survive in the city and country. We have never had .gov help until my DW started collecting SS and we both had to go on Medicare.

\I have a hard time figuring how anyone does not eat this or that as it is yucky do to status.

Black Hand said:
Eat well, drink well, die happy...
Amen brother!!
Ain't no sense to walking meekly to your grave and lying down,,
,I think we all know the rest of that story.

Here in N Minnesota we are required by statute to lard up each fall in preparation for winter, (Sept?) and Spam is a big part of that process. Its not just for breakfast any more....it has also helped with the long term care issues being faced elsewhere in the country; no one here lives long enough to require it... it is a win, win, win deal.

Here we go. My grandfather lived to be in his 90's. Hog lard was used for most everything. Baking and frying. Eggs 2-3-4 or ever how many he wanted. What I'm saying is he eat what he wanted. He also broke a pair of mules to the plow at the age of 75. Now me. I've had 3 heart attacks. survived cancer. I take a pill for every thing and I eat what I want. I'm 69. Everyone is different. I would say live as you wish as long as you can. Oh I married a nurse. I haven't had anything cooked in lard in 35 years. Most of the time if it taste good spit it out.

I'M TO BE 91 IN A MONTH,MY RULE OF THUMB IS IF YOUR MOM TOLD YOU IT WAS GOOD FOR YOU, DON'T EAT IT
IFG YOU WERE LOOKING FOTWARD TO EATING IT,..DON'T
OR AS MR HENSLEY SAYS, SPIT IT OUT.I'M ON DIALYSIS AND THERE ARE A FEW THINGS THEY DON'T WANT YOU TO EAT BUT IN MANY CASES THEY ALSO HAVE A PILL THAT WILL ALLOW TO EAT IT. IT'S CALLED A BINDER THAT GRABS THE UNDESIREABLE PART OF THE FOOD AND PITCHES IT OUT THE CHUTE.
EOU BEGIN TO FEEL LIKE A CHEMISTRY SET.

DUTCH

Here we go. My grandfather lived to be in his 90's. Hog lard was used for most everything. Baking and frying. Eggs 2-3-4 or ever how many he wanted. What I'm saying is he eat what he wanted. He also broke a pair of mules to the plow at the age of 75. Now me. I've had 3 heart attacks. survived cancer. I take a pill for every thing and I eat what I want. I'm 69. Everyone is different. I would say live as you wish as long as you can. Oh I married a nurse. I haven't had anything cooked in lard in 35 years. Most of the time if it taste good spit it out.

I'm considering The Churchill Diet. Two cigars per day, AND 12 ounces of single malt whiskey, consumed over an 8 hour period.
The guy live to be 90...

CHURCHILL.png

This to all Spam lovers. As a kid, we are Spam often. Recently after some 40 years off Spam, I got hungering for it. So I fried some up and was very surprised to find it soooo salty that it was almost impossible to eat. So I’m wondering if Hornel changed the original Spam recipe or was it always extremely salty, I don’t recall it so salty when a kid.
Second question is how the heck do you guys choke down such super salty food?

I grew up eating spam and bologna and all kinds of stuff they say is bad for you. I still eat it all. And lot's of fried eggs and red meat as well. Love it. I had my cholesterol checked last year just because the fussy doctor insisted. Its fine. Good to go. The main thing I think is, keep moving. You can move slower, but keep moving. Keep doing.

Growing up in PA I ate a lot of venison, rabbit, etc. Not much beef cause we didn’t have a lot of money. I thought spam was a treat! We also ate liver, kidneys, heart and tongue cause it was cheap.
My dad ate lard sandwiches as a kid, and his mom made blood sausage when they butchered a hog.

Those were the days.

This to all Spam lovers. As a kid, we are Spam often. Recently after some 40 years off Spam, I got hungering for it. So I fried some up and was very surprised to find it soooo salty that it was almost impossible to eat. So I’m wondering if Hornel changed the original Spam recipe or was it always extremely salty, I don’t recall it so salty when a kid.
With a side order of sweet and sour venison liver pate’......

It would go well with a few cold beers. I actually prefer salty foods and haven't really found anything too salty to eat (I fry and eat Salt-pork without blanching).

Of all the Gosh awful things. Spam counts as an emergency protein source when dried liver supplies are gone. Refrigeration is not necessary for many foods over a three or four day time period unless the temps are hot. If you are in to salt and nitrates simply get a Va dry cure ham. What you do not use will still be good the next decade and no refrigeration. There are old style fermented meats that keep well w/o a fridge. Even dried beef. I am surprised you didn't include a can of pineapple and make Hawaiian pizza in your Dutch oven with the spam. One of my favorite parts of an encampment is the food. Wild goose, stuffed with apple and rice roasted over hot coals and slathered with orange sauce, planked salmon steaks, hearty stews of savory beef and lots of sweet tender carrots., A whole roasting chicken, lightly sprinkled with Old Bay and smoked with hickory chips., A low country boil, of crab, shrimp and clams with clarified butter on the side, corn bread, cranberry scones, sweet potatoes cooked right in the coals. Baked apples glazed with maple and walnuts...followed by a mug of hot spiced and spiked cider or gluhwein............ And you WANT to eat Spam??? Heathen!

Bologna, Hotdogs and Spam all fit in the same category for me - I've eaten them in the past, but aren't part of my diet. In general, I'd eat Spam before Bologna - Bologna (Gov't surplus) was served at nearly every meal for about 5 weeks in the mess hall of a camp where I worked. Won't touch the stuff any more.

I cant tell if some of you are being sarcastic or really dont like the stuff.And are some. of you actually longing for the good old days when we could eat most anything. And probably still do when the wife or docter arent around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back