• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thoughts on barrel coning

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a question, not to nitpick. Any info on whether they had coned barrels in the 1700/1800's? The first I ever heard about it was whrn T/C started doing it a few years back.
Thanks

Nothing-For-It but to Test! Curious-Enough, Old "Douglas" .40 Barrel to Yestern Afternoon-Find.

Now if "Extra-Time Fairie" would be-so-kind........

Is not "Five-Hundred Rounds from Test-Bed" (Barrel-Only, Eliminate a variable) is "Clean-Between-Shots".

Wonder if "Bill Gates" would subsidise..........?

Schwartzpulver: Don't take this wrong, as I am not being critical, but you have made 3-4 post & to this day I have no earthly idea of what you are saying....

Now I realize I am not the brightest bulb in the pack, but if you could put your posts in more normal sentences, or at least in Hillbilly english or Alabamian, I might get the jest of it all & could catch on to what ya are talking about...

I feel you have some good knowledge to contribute & I would like to hear your input, I just can't understand ya. :redface:

Thanks

I must agree with Birddog.
I have finally figured out who he reminds me of. That creature on Star Wars with the long ears. Or maybe a little like Yoda. They both sorta talked like that.

Just a question, not to nitpick. Any info on whether they had coned barrels in the 1700/1800's? The first I ever heard about it was whrn T/C started doing it a few years back.

T/C doesn't cone. They do a recessed counter-bore with no rifling. It's not a gradual cone. Many originals are now coned, but there is a counter argument that this was caused by wear and not done intentionally.

Coning is not detectable by the naked eye, so it takes an active measurement with internal calipers to determine if one exists. We're talking about removing two or three copier-paper sheet thickness of metal gradually at the muzzle.

The lack of short starters in the majority of "original" hunting pouches, and in "intact" pouches where patching and a ball mould that would produce a tight combination remain make an argument for coned muzzles. One of our members here stated in a past thread that gunsmith tools for coning have been found and documented.

They both sorta talked like that

movie3_sm.jpg

Cone you might? Afraid of the bore scratch you should be. When your age was I thoughts of such did I have. There is much fear in you. Until this fear you have conqured, cone you should not. When your work you trust, then cone you should.

Schwartzpulver: Don't take this wrong, as I am not being critical, but you have made 3-4 post & to this day I have no earthly idea of what you are saying....

Now I realize I am not the brightest bulb in the pack, but if you could put your posts in more normal sentences, or at least in Hillbilly english or Alabamian, I might get the jest of it all & could catch on to what ya are talking about...

I feel you have some good knowledge to contribute & I would like to hear your input, I just can't understand ya. :redface:

Thanks

Curious! Friend, "Georgian" (U.S. "Georgian") Utterly innocent; "Linguistic-Ability" Yet We have not "Drama" Communicating.....

Hmmm....Not FIRST this Sort-Of-Thing mentioned, Perhaps I may upon-Him prevail; "Editing".

Then-Again, "Widener's Reloading-Supply", I cannot the Telephone-Girls understand...."Order-Via-Facsimile".

Yep............ That was one fast birddog I'll tell ya.... Thought that sucker would never get back over the mountain..... but he was a goodern !

You liked him too, din't ya ....... I'm glad you agree with me & we are both on the same speakin level now so's we both know zackly what we are talkin about.... them other fellers will jes have to catch up !

:crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

Yep............ That was one fast birddog I'll tell ya.... Thought that sucker would never get back over the mountain..... but he was a goodern !

You liked him too, din't ya ....... I'm glad you agree with me & we are both on the same speakin level now so's we both know zackly what we are talkin about.... them other fellers will jes have to catch up !

:crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

Had-You but Been-There! Query (To Widener's-Girl); "Have You Drums, Remington .45acp Nickle-Primed?"

Response; "We gotta Rat-Cheer".

No-Clew I what "Cheering-Rats" have-doing with query! Utter Non-Sequitur.

Much-Appreciation for humour!

Had-You but Been-There! Query (To Widener's-Girl); "Have You Drums, Remington .45acp Nickle-Primed?"

Response; "We gotta Rat-Cheer".

No-Clew I what "Cheering-Rats" have-doing with query! Utter Non-Sequitur.

Much-Appreciation for humour!

If'n I warh you, I'd plum fergit 'bout mess'n with old man Widener's-girl, less'n he starts "drum'n" on yore "Nickle-plated butt"!! :imo:

Once he git's a'holt'a ya, you ain't gonna much appreciate his type'a "humour"!!

In fact,.... I'd suggest you keep play'n with them "Cheerio-eat'n rats" instead,.... (git'a "clew", you'll live longer)!! :crackup: :crackup:

rollingb

I've got rifles that don't have coning on the muzzle and a few T/C's with their QLA false muzzles. I really like the false muzzle and wish all my rifles had one.

If your PRB combination is really tight, perhaps changing your patch material thickness will help. You might need to reduce your powder charge or re-work your load if you change patch thickness.

That's my problem as I prefer a tight fitting PRB and the only way to get things started without a false muzzle is a whack on a short starter.

Back to coneing; I haven't done one yet but I'm about convinced to do a couple of my .54's. The older I get the less I like starting a tight combo.
Plus, down here some of our creekbottoms are really wet and mushy. I have actually had to find a log (sound, not rotten) to stand and place the butt of the gun on in order to load a follow up shot. The gun would just sink into the mud instead of the ball starting.
Again, what is the address of the guy who sells the coneing tool? Joe Wood, I think.

Curious! Friend, "Georgian" (U.S. "Georgian") Utterly innocent; "Linguistic-Ability" Yet We have not "Drama" Communicating.....

Hmmm....Not FIRST this Sort-Of-Thing mentioned, Perhaps I may upon-Him prevail; "Editing".

Then-Again, "Widener's Reloading-Supply", I cannot the Telephone-Girls understand...."Order-Via-Facsimile".

I've not understood one thing you've said in any of your posts, but I've coned several barrels and it works great. :thumbsup:

I have actually had to find a log (sound, not rotten) to stand and place the butt of the gun on in order to load a follow up shot. The gun would just sink into the mud instead of the ball starting.

Place the butt on the top of your foot. ::

After years of 0.018" to .020" patches I've been playing around with 0.015" and even 0.010". It's so easy it seems sinful. Accuracy is not near as good with the 0.010", but what fun to fire off four rounds by just pushing the ramrod straight through the ball-block with one easy motion and no wiping between shots. Good enough for juice cans at 50 yards. :redthumb:

I'm hoping to eventually get a load that will keep one-minute-of-clay-pidgeon at 50 yards for snowshoe biathlon.

I'd just got so's I could read RollingB and Zonie's without sounding them out aloud and now Blackenpowdertypen comes along and I have to start all over. I think James Joyce reads easier than him, me droogies!

Coning is not detectable by the naked eye, so it takes an active measurement with internal calipers to determine if one exists.

Stumpkiller,

I beg to differ, at least with Joe's tool, on both square and round bottom deep groove rifling. (.010-.012).

The coned barrels I have done exhibit a definite,(looking INTO the muzzle with naked eye), TAPER of the lands, wider at muzzle to narrower toward breech, and, conversly, a definite TAPER of the groove, (narrower at muzzle, and wider toward breech), over about 1 and 1/2 inch.

Easy to see, altho as you said the amount removed is small.

Also let us not make fun of foreigners command of English.

SURE-I-AM-NOT as to accuracy efficiency, however IMPROVED- LOADING-EASILY is therefore obtained and DIFFERENCE-MAKES-WORTHWHILE-WELL, for DEAD-DEER-UNCONTROLLED-ENVIRONMENTALLY.
:sorry:,
Regards, Terry

Being new, I found this thread really interesting and for me iit wasn't a rehash. I've looked for muzzleloading magazines in our small town local market with no luck to date and may have to do some web-searches.

On the language stuff there's a lot I don't understand or can't sound out (Mental block I guess) and those I just skip hopeing I don't miss something important or if it's important, someone will repeat the info in more readable form. In some cases the "Georgian" is easier to understand because he uses real words - much like when I was a street cop with a foreigner. Kind of like learning spanish where they rearrange their adjectives differently. Is "Georgian" the Russian provence of "Georgia" or just an affectation? ::

Back