• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thoughts on a Dragoon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same pistol - forearm, its displaced down a little from whomever did the last repair. Are you guys thinking 18th or 17th century or hard to determine?

Allen: Good catch with the frizzen to spring placement and the hammer stop! The hammer and frizzen may be older replacements? Also note the length of the sear spring past the lock plate. :idunno:
Also, notice the octagon portion of the barrel runs better than half the length of the barrel?? Almost as if the barrel was shortened from a long gun?
So far, I'm still convinced this gun at least started life as a Balkan made piece. Rick.

@Rick, Are these the pictures you wanted?

@everyone - great discussion, learning a lot.

IMG_7162_zps95ae9fc8.jpg

IMG_7163_zps561c8b06.jpg

IMG_7165_zpsbf69e059.jpg

karr said:
Okay, here are some more picts, the markings are faint, took the best photos I could.

Maybe 1522 at the picture with the date?

Thanks everyone.

Definitely NOT 1552. The flintlock like this was not common until at least 150 years later. Even wheellocks were still being developed - the lock of that time was a matchlock.

I agree with the Balkans' ID.

tac

Hi Karr. Thanks for the additional photos. I am 99% sure this pistol was made in the Balkans - for the Turkish market. Probably early to mid 19th Century. This part of the World used the flintlock well into the third quarter of the 19th Century.
If you look under the Photos section of the Forum, I just posted a "Pair of Turkish Pistols". Take a look and note the similar construction to yours.
Hope this helps a bit. And thanks again for posting.
Rick :hatsoff:

In the U S Army Dragoons were mounted infantry that rode to battle. Usually there were ten soldiers in a group. I have read that nine fought while one tended to the horses. I assume they rotated the horse tending job.

Latest posts

Back