• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thoughts on a Dragoon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drkarr

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Here is a Dragoon I have researched. I would appreciate everyone's input to see if I was researching in the correct direction.
IMG_5328_zps9f860f5a.jpg

IMG_6200_zps9ce6f7da.jpg

IMG_6199_zpsc193e3cd.jpg

IMG_6220_zpsbdeda032.jpg

IMG_6222_zpsaa305d47.jpg

IMG_5328_zps04d68cc1.jpg

DSC00891_zpsb151f18a.jpg

They also were a complement of horse mounted solders in the British Army that used this type of arm, I believe. Hence the name, I would guess. MD

Photos in focus of proofs and makers marks are a must. A guess so far 1740-1760 .

On the barrel I found a date ending in XX22

I will recheck tomorrow for proof marks.

Cynthialee said:
There are a number of different guns over the centuries that have had the "Dragoon' designation.
A Dragoon is a heavy pistol issued to cavalry units.
Actually "Dragoon" units were mounted infantry. Train to ride 'to' battle but fought on foot. Mobile but cheaper and easier to train than cavalry, who always fought on horseback.

I suspect, one of a pair of Gentlemans Holster pistols, carried in pommel holsters. Looks european, rather than English. Should repair nicely. How did you come across it?

Cheers

Heelerau

Moderators:
Since this concerns an original/antique firelock, could this thread be moved back into the Firearms Research forum, where it originated? I would think there might be interest from more of the historically-oriented members there.

Regards,
Joel

Hello everyone, thanks so much for the input. I have been incredible busy, sorry for the delay, here are some replays.

Bought the item at a gun show last year, caught my eye.

I will post better pictures on Monday when I am where the dragoon is at.

Yes, the post can be moved to where you feel it should be.

Okay, here are some more picts, the markings are faint, took the best photos I could.

Maybe 1522 at the picture with the date?

Thanks everyone.

IMG_7148_zps375c8c19.jpg

IMG_7149_zps6138e872.jpg

IMG_7150_zps40d8ffe0.jpg

IMG_7151_zps5de2dc0f.jpg

IMG_7152_zpsb6fa8272.jpg

IMG_7153_zps678b8ef6.jpg

IMG_7156_zps6f809846.jpg

IMG_7157_zps378b6639.jpg

IMG_7158_zps346c7e9d.jpg

IMG_7159_zps43b31231.jpg

Hi Karr. Thanks for the additional photos. That helps a bunch. If you get the chance, post a pic of the wrist/grip inlay.
My first thought, when I viewed the first photo, was a Belgium/Dutch horse pistol.
But with the additional photos, I'm going out on a limb and suggest this pistol was made in the Balkans, early to mid 19th Century. Here are some of my reasons for believing this:
1) Trigger Guard. Note the width of the guard is more narrow. As well, it appears that the guard is nailed to the stock vs the use of screws or pins as European pistols. Both very common features of Balkan made pistols of this era.
2) Frizzen screw. Note the screw is mounted from inside the lock vs outside. While not totally exclusive, the inside mounting is the most common encountered on Balkan made pistols.
3) Lock: While the lock itself looks OK, there seems just a bit of crudeness. Not quite up to European standards. While the frizzen is styled more European (and could be) (and the trigger itself for that matter)it looks like a more locally made lock.
The engraving on these Balkan made pistols was done in a generic fashion to appeal to a large variety of prospects. Anyway, that is my opinion for the moment. :haha: Different opinions here most welcome. Thanks for posting. Rick. :hatsoff:

IMG_6199_zpsc193e3cd.jpg

The lock reminds me of some of the early Dutch locks the Cock looks later and a replacement look at it in the forward position the spring is almost at rest and the stop on the back of the cock is not resting on the top edge of the lock plate”¦.It almost looks like if the frizzen was not in the way and cock was fully down the spring might slip off tumbler... Also is the forearm from another pistol? It looks like it doesn’t quite fit where the crack is”¦.

Latest posts

Back