• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thompson Center Patriot added to my "collection".

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just received a rather early Patriot from what I can tell.
Low serial number in the 4000 range, and no brass nose cap.

Never fired!!!!

I like it, but not sure if it will be staying here.
Just looking for input.... yes, I have looked up everything I can find....

Keep, or ?

1.jpg

2.jpg

bore 2.JPG

I would keep and use it. That said here is some advice. To avoid cracking the wrist I do not use a pistol stand while ramming the ball down. I use my stand to hold the pistol while not in use at the range and while cleaning the barrel. I also make sure the screw that holds the lock is snug not tight. The rear sight on my later model Patriot has a screw that locks the windage adjustment screw. I need to loosen it before adjusting the rear sight left or right. Good luck whatever you decide to do.

I would keep and use it. That said here is some advice. To avoid cracking the wrist I do not use a pistol stand while ramming the ball down. I use my stand to hold the pistol while not in use at the range and while cleaning the barrel. I also make sure the screw that holds the lock is snug not tight. The rear sight on my later model Patriot has a screw that locks the windage adjustment screw. I need to loosen it before adjusting the rear sight left or right. Good luck whatever you decide to do.

I have been reading about the cracking in the stocks when loading on a stand, or using a higher charge.

The thing has never been fired since new, so I do believe it will stay that way as long as I have it.
Thanks for the input, much appreciated!

You are welcome. I have a couple of unfired muzzleloaders. I use my T/C Renegade, T/C Patriot, and my Northwest Trade gun as my go to weapons of choice.

Putting any potential stock issues aside, it sure looks handsome enough to be a collectible.
I once had a similar collectible TC .36 rifle that I didn't have the heart to shoot for the 1st time.
I eventually sold it to the father of a budding teenage 4H shooter to use in state competitions.
When the time comes these NIB collectibles often end up going to a deserving shooter or collector without any regrets.
I look at it as you can always change your mind about whether to shoot it or not. but once it has been fired you can't change your mind.

Last edited:
I have two Patriots. Never any issues. Keep in mind what Brawny said. Never load it heavily. For me, 24-25 grr of FFG works best. Never let the stock come into hard surfaces while loading. :cool:

Putting any potential stock issues aside, it sure looks handsome enough to be a collectible.
I once had a similar collectible TC .36 rifle that I didn't have the heart to shoot for the 1st time.
I eventually sold it to the father of a budding teenage 4H shooter to use in state competitions.
When the time comes these NIB collectibles often end up going to a deserving shooter or collector without any regrets.
I look at it as you can always change your mind about whether to shoot it or not. but once it has been fired you can't change your mind.

I like that idea arcticap, I probably will hang on to it for a bit, and when the right situation arises do something with it as in a trade etc.
Although it is not in the time frame that I am focusing on, it is somewhat of a rare find in this condition.

Latest posts

Back