• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thompson Center Hawken 50 questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timbojr86

32 Cal
Reaction score
I've wanted a Thompson Center Hawken for as long as I can remember, unfortunately in North Central PA they are next to impossible to find and if you do find them they are either way overpriced or in poor shape, usually it's both! So imagine my surprise when I walked in a gun shop last week I've never been in before and there sat this beauty with original ram rod and sights! I was pleasantly surprised with the price tag given its condition and knowing what these guns go for now, but being honest there was zero chance of me leaving there without this gun!

No black powder warnings or model designation anywhere on the barrel, just what is shown in the one picture. There is a 5 digit serial number 14*** on left side of barrel, a diamond on underside of barrel, and a "T" stamped in stock inlet.

After alot of searching I've come to find out there is no official records on serial numbers due to a fire at TC, however I know some members might be able to give me a ball park on age?

Is there any significance to the diamond on underside of barrel or the "T" in the inlet of stock?

Additionally any other information you might be able to give me or things I should know about this gun I'd greatly appreciate hearing it! Enjoy the pictures, I can't wait to get some shooting in!

Attachments

• 20210325_234442.jpg
    20210325_234442.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 153
  • 20210325_233010.jpg
    20210325_233010.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 136
  • 20210325_234459.jpg
    20210325_234459.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 137
  • 20210325_233357.jpg
    20210325_233357.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 141
  • 20210325_233631.jpg
    20210325_233631.jpg
    299 KB · Views: 140
  • 20210325_233535.jpg
    20210325_233535.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 132
  • 20210325_232551.jpg
    20210325_232551.jpg
    325.9 KB · Views: 135
  • 20210325_233117.jpg
    20210325_233117.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 122
  • 20210325_233210.jpg
    20210325_233210.jpg
    334.9 KB · Views: 122
  • 20210325_232649.jpg
    20210325_232649.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 119
Rest of the pictures

Attachments

• 20210325_232657.jpg
    20210325_232657.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 100
  • 20210331_224721.jpg
    20210331_224721.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 103
  • 20210331_224551.jpg
    20210331_224551.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 106
Sweet, and a flintlock too.
In PA we have a flintlock only deer season that comes in the day after Christmas and lasts 3 weeks, that is my Christmas morning!!! You can only use Percussion cap n ball or inline's during our rifle season, or we have a week long bear & doe season where you can use them as well! My parents bought me a Traditions Deer Hunter when I turned 12 it sparked my love of flintlock hunting and with some upgrades & modifications its served me well over the years, but I'm even more excited for our late season now!!!

There is a group called the Thompson /Center Association, you might want to " google " them. Some of their members specialize in Hawken info. They were very helpful to me when I needed information on a Hawken I owned. Their contact info. is listed on their website. That particular Hawken turned out to be the 10th one made. It's s.n. was 1010............ and I found out Hawken serial numbers began with #1000. So yours is very early. I also live and hunt in Central Pa and yes, TC Flintlocks are scarce...... a .54 seems to be the " holy grail".

Don't know what the "T" means but my built from a kit TC 50 Flint has a "K" stamped in the same location and I always thought if meant Kit.

For @Don H, the K stands for kit and should also be the first character in the serial number of the barrel.

@Timbojr86, You have an early T/C Hawken. I would speculate that it wasn't used much as it still has the T/C sawn agate flint in the lock. The lock is the early version of the flintlock. Improvements would be to get black English or French amber flints. If the flint lock sparks well, I would wait to decide if a new hammer with better geometry for improved striking of the frizzen is warranted. While the rifle is early, its not so early as to have the color case hardened trigger guard and butt plate.

The diamond stamp is an inspection or maker's mark and the meaning is lost to history. Some rumors abound, but nothing to give credence to other than the barrel may have been built by another barrel maker and not by T/C. Still, these are good barrels.

For @Don H, the K stands for kit and should also be the first character in the serial number of the barrel.

@Timbojr86, You have an early T/C Hawken. I would speculate that it wasn't used much as it still has the T/C sawn agate flint in the lock. The lock is the early version of the flintlock. Improvements would be to get black English or French amber flints. If the flint lock sparks well, I would wait to decide if a new hammer with better geometry for improved striking of the frizzen is warranted. While the rifle is early, its not so early as to have the color case hardened trigger guard and butt plate.

The diamond stamp is an inspection or maker's mark and the meaning is lost to history. Some rumors abound, but nothing to give credence to other than the barrel may have been built by another barrel maker and not by T/C. Still, these are good barrels.
The really early ones had the case hardened guard and, interestingly, the patchbox was placed closer to the buttplate. One of these really early ones ( very low 4 digit) can be seen on Gunbroker right now, although it's a percussion. I believe the "T" stamp could be an addition made by a previous owner, but that's just a guess.

Congrats.You are incorrect in thinkin you have to use an inline or perc.cap in our early a/less m/loader season.You are allowed a f/lock to use as well.

Congrats.You are incorrect in thinkin you have to use an inline or perc.cap in our early a/less m/loader season.You are allowed a f/lock to use as well.

I definitely didn't word my reply very well at all and you are absolutely correct sir you can use a flintlock in early season as well. I didn't mean for it to sound as if you can only use inlines and not a flintlock in those seasons, but I can see now how the wording made it sound that way! Thank you for clearing that up!

A 1972 issue of BLACK POWDER GUN DIGEST says the TC Hawkens made before 1972 had a color case hardened trigger guard.
With the brass trigger guard on this rifle and it's serial number, I'm guessing it was made in 1972 or 1973.

Sheaze! I remember those days. That's almost 50 years ago.

Thanks everyone for the replies, alot of good info in there! I swapped the agate out for an English flint shortly after these pictures, to each their own but I've never been a fan of agate personally.

@Bucky I will check that group out for sure! As for the "T" inside my stock, I really think it's a factory mark of some sort because it appears to have been put in when the stock was bare but I could be wrong. I have a line on one of those 54 cal holy grails you speak of....🤞🏼

@Grenadier1758 I've been reading alot about the old lock vs new and I'm hoping with a good English flint she will spark just fine. Lucky for me RMC OxyYoke is in town and I know the owners well, I picked up a frizzen of theirs today just as it seems they are a common change many end up making.

Need opinions on signts.... seems like the tang peep sights are the way to go for the rear sights, correct? Are there any negatives to the Williams tang peep since finding a TC for reasonable price is unlikely? What is everyone doing for the front sight.....painting existing blade or going to fiber optic?

1) A diamond or a spade stamped in the underside of the barrel indicates a Sharon barrel (very respected bbl maker).

Sharon provided T/C barrels until the late 70's.

2) Douglas Stamped a cross in the under side of their barrels.

They provided their barrels till the early 80s.

3) No barrel mark, or a circled M, signifies a T/C made barrel.

T/C made their own barrels from about '85, at least until S&W bought out T/C, & moved the casting & barrel making to Mass.

1) A diamond or a spade stamped in the underside of the barrel indicates a Sharon barrel (very respected bbl maker).

Sharon provided T/C barrels until the late 70's.

2) Douglas Stamped a cross in the under side of their barrels.

They provided their barrels till the early 80s.

3) No barrel mark, or a circled M, signifies a T/C made barrel.

T/C made their own barrels from about '85, at least until S&W bought out T/C, & moved the casting & barrel making to Mass.

@Pietro Would a Sharon bbl stil be a 1:48 twist rate or would it be a 1:66?

Back