• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

FOR SALE Thompson Center Cleland Match Rifle and Factory Box - Modified Trade

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have the below listed TC Cleland Match Rifle (40 caliber) for sale. It comes with the original factory box (correct s/n) that is also pictured and is a rare find. The box contains the original padding and dividers, but does not have any original paperwork. There is the original 40 caliber jag in it's place in one of the foam dividers. The rifle has a few minor wood dings and very small bluing nicks, but nothing bad at all. The bore is fantastic and has no pitting or rust of any kind. Everything is original as it was purchased including the sights with one exception. The elevation screw on it has been replaced with one that works and has very positive clicks. The original elevation screws were not that good and were often replaced.

These rifles are known to like a match load of 60 grains of 3F powder with a .395 ball and a tight patch. This one likes that combination also.

As a bonus, it comes with a Platinum lined nipple that is a correct fit for this rifle.

I am asking a firm $1,400 for the rifle. I require full value insurance when I ship, and I ship USPS Priority Mail. The shipping cost is high and there is nothing I can do about that. Shipping will be $100 east of the big river and $125 west of the river.

I take USPS Money Orders as payment or I can take a credit/debit card by phone with the 3.5% added fee they charge me.
IMG_1077.JPG
IMG_1078.JPG
IMG_1079.JPG
IMG_1080.JPG
IMG_1081.JPG

As far as trades, I will consider a "partial value" trade for a mint condition TC PA Hunter in flint or percussion. It must have a mint bore and be in very good condition and have no alterations and no CLA. I am not interested in other trades at this time.

Please ask if you need more information or pictures and thank you for looking.

Last edited:
Do you know the twist rate? I wonder if other TC barrels could fit?

This is a very nice rifle.
The twist rate on the Cleland is 1-48". Certain other Hawken barrels will fit, most notably would be the 54 caliber Hawken barrel. The Cleland barrel is 31" long and the LOP is a little shorter than the standard Hawken, but otherwise, standard Hawken parts fit. It does have a 1" across the flats barrel.

Edited to reflect these have the 1" barrel.

Last edited:
a beauty! If you ship with the USPS and buy insurance, you are wasting money if you don't have the original sales receipt and I bet they would hold you to that price. Otherwise they won't cover damage or loss. From a retired mailman. Edited 8/7/23
Nit Wit

Last edited:
I had one of these years ago and like an idiot I sold it wish I had it back it shot great and I believe I paid $685.00 new for mine probably 20 -25 years ago and had to pay
sales tax. They don't make them anymore and if you want one you got to pay.
After bad experiences with all of the parcel systems I would not ship . With rifle in anything but a wooden crate no matter who I shipped it with. Trying to fight the shipper for insurance coverage is the biggest joke on Earth.

Last edited:
I got the cash but I've spent so much lately and I've got 5 now that I've not been shooting. If it was less money I would snatch it up. Love the looks
Crow, I actually would offer it for less, but that is exactly what I had to pay. The box was the deciding factor and I had to step up to get it.

I had one of these years ago and like an idiot I sold it wish I had it back it shot great and I believe I paid $685.00 new for mine probably 20 -25 years ago and had to pay
sales tax. They don't make them anymore and if you want one you got to pay.
After bad experiences with all of the parcel systems I would not ship . With rifle in anything but a wooden crate no matter who I shipped it with. Trying to fight the shipper for insurance coverage is the biggest joke on Earth.
I hate shipping also, mainly because of the cost - but the risk is a factor also. I will be attending the Georgia, Alabama and NC State matches that are coming up if that helps anyone.

Got a NIB Penn Hunter Carbine original box paperwork keychain inspection certificate everything. It does however has QLA! Never fired!

Latest posts

Back