• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

THOMPSON/CENTER ARMS MAXI SHOK

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonewolf5347

40 Cal.
Reaction score
was wondering if anyone tried this tool made by t/c ???
I seen them in an old add says they come with a couple of different tools to cross cut a lead bullet.

Lonewolf My buddy,he has passed on,Used to have a tool that he put a 22 shell in that cut off end of bullet,solidpoint, to use on squirrel.They were suppose to flaten more. What you are talking about is what they call a Dumb-Dumb bullet. I have seen then do this with knife. Dilly

:bull: Don't give in to the "BELLS and WHISTLES".If you think you need your RB to flatten more, drill a hole in the ball about 1/4 of the diameter. If you use conicals,leave them alone.A Maxi Ball/Maxi Hunter/Hollow Base Minni work OK...................Olson

lonewolf5347 said:
was wondering if anyone tried this tool made by t/c ???
I seen them in an old add says they come with a couple of different tools to cross cut a lead bullet.

For those members that don't know what a MAXI SHOK BULLET PERFORMANCE TOOL is, this is what lonewolf5347 is talking about...

no7126.jpg

The Geneva Convention applies to governments who make ammunition for use in war that violate certain standard- particularly " Dum-Dum" bullets. That is why " Ball" ammo is jacketed, and usually comes with a steel core for the first third of the nose of the bullet, before a lead core completes the bullet. Military 6.5 Carcano ammo is made from a steel billet that is formed into the bullet, but has a lead core only in the bottom 1/3 of the length of the bullet. It was invented in 1891, and was one of the first smokeless cartridges made to conform to that Convention. The King of Italy did not want to face international sanctions because some uneducated grunt spent his time in a trench cutting an " X " in the nose of his ammo, with his bayonet. In the 1960's, we learned to overstabilize our 55 grain, .223 cal. bullets so that they tumbled when they hit flesh, causing the kinds of massive wounds the Geneva Convention had tried to prevent, but which was not updated to reflect modern ballistics capabilities. Cutting a flat nose on a bullet or even making it a hollowpoint is no violation of the Convention, so long as you are not a government arsenal making ammunition for battle, and you are a signatory to that convention. Most of today's countries are not.

I do believe that Stumpkiller was making a :rotf: :rotf: remark about the Geneva Convention.................OLSON

Stumpkiller said:
I remember seeing them advertized but never saw one used. I think they violate the Geneva Convention. :hmm:

Don't you mean the Geneva Rendezvous? :rotf:

HD

When did TC market this tool? Looks like a way to convert maxiballs to maxihunters (e.g. hollow point conical).

I'd imagine You'd have to be careful to center where you started your cut and be consistent in the depth you removed.

I'm curious, anyone ever have experience with these?

And I would have left the remark alone, but it seemed that someone was taking it seriously! This is how bad legal advice gets spread around, and I will eventually hear from someone telling my I don't know the law because they read somewhere......... I thought I would try to nip this in the bud, just this once. I used to know chapter and verse on that Convention, but that was many years ago. A Man was killed back in 1970 by a police officer who fired a hollowpoint bullet. He was fleeing the police for no valid reason, but just because he was Black, and he had been taught to be afraid of the police. He was spotted driving away from a site where there had been riots and arsons the night before, so the officer did not know what he was dealing with. He stumbled and his gun went off. For days, I had to listen to upper classmen at the law school talk about "Dum-Dum" bullets, until I finally straightened everyone out that the shape of the bullet had nothing to do with the man's death. The bullet went into a lung, collapsing it, and causing pulmonary arterial bleeding. He was a goner, even if he had been shot in a hospital surgery room! He would have been dead if he was shot with a round nosed .22!

GET A LIFE MAN !....I don't think LONEWOLF was worried if the deer or whatever he kills for food cares what type of bullet was used.

Back