• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

This old girl needs some help!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a barrel at an estate sale that was covered in rust. I got a PVC pipe capped one end and filled it with WD-40 and soaked it for a week. Rubbed with steel wool.

Well I have had many guns in that condition come to me for restoration but 99% are guns that have been forgotten about and have been in attics etc for over 100years but the gun in question has been left for the excess of 20years to reach that condition is only pure neglect and should never have happened, I am not trying too offend the person but only pointing out how wrong he or she was when a oily rag would have kept the rust at bay .
Feltwad

Before
P1010004.JPG

After
P1010001.JPG

Last edited:
It doesn’t look too bad. Evapo Rust isn’t snake oil and actually works very well. Hit with some sand paper after soaking in Evapo Rust. You don’t have to sand all the pits out but I bet it’s not as bad as it looks.

Last edited:
I haven’t tried it yet, but I have some tools that were left outside and got rusty, my machinist friend told me to put them in plain white vinegar and that would dislove the rust. I am not sure how long to soak though. Might be worth a try before you start sanding it off or cut the barrel back

50/50 acetone and atf shaken in a bottle. Then poured in a open container that the barrel muzzle can be placed in so the mixture will cover all the rust. Let sit over night then use a triple aut steel wool orgrey or green scrub pad.

It came as a great surprise to me to find out, when visiting a friend's home a few years back for the first time, that his wife was using a green scrub pad IN THE KITCHEN SINK!!! Never thought of using it for cleaning up cooking pans...guess that's another use for them, eh? ;)

Evapo-Rust, no elbow grease, soak it and you are done. Get the rust off and shoot it, may turn out OK. If it doesn't shoot Bobby Hoyt can reline it or you can cut it back to a 2 band version.
Evaporust works amazing!
Neil

I’ve used a 50/50 water and Vinegar bath to refurbish old cast iron pans. Takes the rust right off. Only thing is you can’t leave it in the bath for more then a Couple of hours. Pull out a steel wool

I was very skeptical of Evaporust. It sounds like snake oil. I bought a jug and poured some into a plastic tub. I have a break top cartridge pistol that was given to me as a mass of rust. The cylinder would turn reluctantly, the action was stuck. The barrel pivot was stuck at a 45 degree angle, the lock on the top that secures the barrel to the frame was stuck. It was a paperweight that looked like it came off the deck of the Titanic. I put it in there and when it came out, I was as not expecting much. I washed it off with water and hosed it down with WD-40. I was ASTONISHED!! The rust was gone, and everything works! It pivots, locks securely, the trigger and action work fine, other than being hideous, it looks serviceable!!

Naval Jelly will etch the steel and in this cause further damage the bore. There is never a good situation to use Naval Jelly on a gun. The best three way to remove heavy rust on a gun are Evaporust, Evaporust, and Evaporust. This is not speculation that is 50 years of experience, I have tried them all.

For light rust on bluing steel wool and oil will do. Just be sure to turn and change the pad often. Rust on steel wool scratches bluing.

If the rust created pitting (on the outside) you may want to get the files out first to get down through them before you start in with the sand paper. You can get it all (solely) with 600 grit of course, but it might take you 10 years.

Latest posts

Back