• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

This is how I develop a load for my muzzle loaders.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim L

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I use 3fffg powder in all my muzzle loaders.

Test fit patch and ball by using a strip of patching material 1 ½” wide and 24” long. Lube the center of the strip and use short starter to drive it down 6” or so, and pull it back out and see what the cloth impression is like on ball. See attached Drawing out of Lyman black Powder handbook (IBM 984751 page 53)

After the Break in shots.
I start out with a full caliber load,
Rifle is mounted in cradle that supports the whole rifle.
Sight it in at at a large sheet of paper with a cross marked on it.
Sight at the cross for each of 3 shots. Lightly hold the rife resting on the cradle in a way that you don’t impart any human force on rifle. Look for group size.
Increase load by 5 gr. And repeat.
I do this till my group size is as Smaller as it will get. I find that the group will get smaller as you go up in powder charge. Till it starts opening up with a heaver charge.
Then I have the tightest group where ever it is on the paper. Then I site the gun from the shoulder.
IMG_0265~photo-full.jpg

For you, good technique. That idea for testing ball/patch/bore fit is a good method often overlooked. I do it. But, for testing while resting I prefer to be consistent with hold. I rest the forearm on a regular rest at the same point where it will be supported by my hand when shooting offhand. The butt is supported by my body and doesn't touch the bench. But you do test, that is more than many can say. And, I'll betcha you are a winner at matches. Not a criticism, that way is yer own thang, my way is my thang. :)

Thank you for sharing,
There are many folks out there that don't understand the patch-ball fit in the bore and those impressions left on the ball when it's proper.
Great share with the Lyman page, TC even did that in one of their old manuals.
Yet even today, there are folks that say it doesn't happen!!

Back