• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

This is a cross post about the DuraCoat finish.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gooddaytoya!

40 Cal
Reaction score
I think I have to duck to even mention this to you guys. It seems so weird to actually paint a gun or rifle. If you haven't cursed me by now, I'll go on to say that DuraCoat is a two-part system so it must be some kind of epoxy formula, but it goes on very thin and the solvents flash off in moments after application. Multiple applications are made, apparently four, which builds a final thickness of one mil. Between each coat a hair dryer is used to flash off the solvents so successive coats can be applied. Anybody heard of this? Anybody tried it? Does anybody approve of duracoating a firearm??

It's a mute point here actually.
Why fret? Is it that rust brown isn't good?
Or that cleaning and oil doesn't work?
That some how 300yr old guns don't function without the stuff?

Well, given that they make traditionally patterned flintlocks with synthetic stocks, I can't see what harm there'd be in Duracoating one of those. You'd have the experience of old-school manual of arms and marksmanship combined with modern weather resistance.

Yes, keeping tradition alive by doing and carrying everything historically accurate is part of the hobby, but the manual of arms and marksmanship are the heart of the hobby in my own personal book. The historically accurate aesthetics and construction of the pieces and accoutraments are one part, and the shooting is the other. It seems that there are plenty of people who just collect and/or reenact without shooting much, if at all, so they only really engage in one part of the hobby without getting any guff..

It's fine if they do only part of the hobby, so why can't you?

Well, given that they make traditionally patterned flintlocks with synthetic stocks, I can't see what harm there'd be in Duracoating one of those.
You are absolutely right, I'm sorry.
We like to see those at the events I shoot at, Honest, we like to see them on the 50yrd line.
Hanging from a rope, then we take side bet's to see how many shot's it takes too bust the stock in two pieces.
It's a "foul" and a PITA if someone cuts the rope with a shot,, hafta close the range, walk down there an hang it again,,

We have people using windex, Ballistol and other chemicals for cleaning, store bought chemicals for patch lube so who cares if someone Durocoats their gun. I'm pretty much a purist but don't give a rat if someone is hunting with or shooting a synthetic stock. I don't remember it being a tabboo on this sight. Anyway, it's your gun, if you want to try a non conventional coating go for it.

You are absolutely right, I'm sorry.
We like to see those at the events I shoot at, Honest, we like to see them on the 50yrd line.
Hanging from a rope, then we take side bet's to see how many shot's it takes too bust the stock in two pieces.
It's a "foul" and a PITA if someone cuts the rope with a shot,, hafta close the range, walk down there an hang it again,,
I found this online. It has some upgrades that might help those folks who keep missing those stocks you use as targets. :p
Capture+_2021-10-05-04-49-16~2.png

Not withstanding or disparaging all of the preceeding responses, I have used dura coat on one rifle. First, I am a collector and I agree with most of what has been said regarding tradition. I built a target rifle a number of years ago with only a butt stock, action and barrel. A friend had used dura coat and suggested I try it. We did the barrel and action and I haven't looked back. This was done 5 or 6 years ago and the rifle has been handled and shot in matches all season for each of the subsequent years with little or no effect on the finish. Granted this was not a traditional rifle, but one that has seen a lot of use. For the real non traditionalist it can be had in a number of colors, I used black.

We used good ole Krylon in the military but dont let the armorer catch you. 😆
That's not something I'd have ever done. I never got issued a weapon that worn in any case.

Did you do that in the field, where you could do it as a squad and then leave the weapons so the paint could set before turning them in?

That's not something I'd have ever done. I never got issued a weapon that worn in any case.

Did you do that in the field, where you could do it as a squad and then leave the weapons so the paint could set before turning them in?
One of the teams wrapped the weapons with gauze/ace bandage and sprayed them for a specific mission. Not exactly an approved thing in that day and age but it did make it harder to see.

Times have changed. Armourers will paint your rifle if you’re uncomfortable with it. A good friend has made a good business coating rifles and other equipment used in the GWOT.

Back