• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thinking of a fowler for my kid

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pcrum

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm thinking of getting a fowler for my kid. He's 9 but pretty small for his age. He can shoot ok with my pedersoli .32 from the bench, but it's too much for him to carry and he can't shoulder it properly because the pull is too long. I'm thinking of getting him a "boat gun" from Early Rustic Arms. It comes in .50, .54, and .62- all smoothbore. My thought is that I could shorten the pull on it to fit him better. The .62 would probably be the lightest in weight, but do you think the recoil would be too heavy? I thought the .50 or .54 would be ok for prb, but may be pretty limiting for shot. I'm sort of rambling here but what the hell. I suppose I could just load the .62 light. Can you still get decent patterning with a light shot load?
Do you folks have any suggestions as far as kid's guns go? I looked at the "dixie cub" by pedersoli, but it's nearly the same price as the boat gun, which I like better. This gun would be primarily for plinking but would be used for rabbits and squirrels as well.
I appreciate any input.
Thanks,

My thought is that I could shorten the pull on it to fit him better.

Kids grow, pull's don't...

If you shorten the pull to fit him, what are you going to do when he out-grows it?

I'm not saying "don't do it", just keep in mind that kids have growing spurts and shoot up fast...

Maybe this might be another option. Getting a low cost smoothbore that if you want to cut the stock, or if he looses intrest you are not out of much money. This is a type of gun that I was thinking to get him started.
54 cal. smoothbore
I am not saying this gun in particular but in this style. :m2c: Oh yeah and subsitute the percusion thingy for a flintlock.

id get a sxs shell gun and load it with black powder so he gets in the spirit but isnt severly hadicapped with a muzzeloader shotgun at that young age... i had a 410 when i was a kid and never got a pheasant with it.. its hard enough for a kid to get a bird with a modern shotgun.. if your after squirrels its different.. if when hunting season comes around and he has his choice of what to use thats different..i dont mean you to take this wrong, but hes going to go to school on monday and all the other kids are going to talk about how many birds they shot, and it could take years for him to kill a pheasant or duck with a small bore smoothie when hes not developed shooting skills.. to learn how to shoot shotgun it takes hundreds, thousands of rounds to be able to master the shotgun.. so a muzzeloader would be handicapping a beginner in my oppinion, if he cant practice alot of rounds somhow.... if its a once in awhile thing, or for the rondevois that would be totally different.. sorry for the intrusion but its my way of looking at it.. if he gets bummed out about black powder in the get go he will avoid it the rest of his life.. dave..

I figure that if he outgrows it, I can always re-stock it, or give it to his brother. My plan is to make it a little long for him now, but not so long that he can't shoulder it. That way he has some room to grow. If he's too attached to it, I'll just let him hang it on the wall, and make a new one.
I'm not talking about a miniature gun- just a shorter barrel and slightly shorter pull.

Appreciate the advise.
Cheers,

I thought about that, but invariably he's going to want to bring it to re-enactments so I need something closer to pc.
He's been scouting and patrolling with us since he was 7.

Our scouting party consists of two ex cav scouts (one still active in the NG,) An ex sailor, a former marine infantryman, a scout, and Myself (former 82nd ABN infantry and 2 time combat veteran) -The scary thing is he's better at scouting than all of us! ::

Cheers,

He's already proficient with a single shot shotgun, and his little .22. He actually shoots pretty well with my AR-15 too! He's been around Muzzleloaders all his life, and really wants one. Mine are all too big/heavy is all.
Appreciate the input however..
cheers,

If re-enactments is in the picture then early rustic arms looks like a good idea. My only concern would be the range the gun has, will it be able to hold a good patern. The other possibility is to get the gun in the white and you both could work together to finish it. My fondest memories of my Dad was not just hunting with him but working on my first bp kit. I still have that rifle and evertime I use it I feel he is there with me. :peace:

Back