• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Think I'm ready for Turkey season...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Finally got to pattern my .20 ga this morning.

I started out with 75 gr of 3F Graf powder, 1/2 fiber wad greased up with deer tallow/olive oil mix, over shot card, 1 1/4 #5 nickel plated shot and a over shot card. Shooting at 30 yards, I found this to be pretty mild to shoot and it shot low from my point of aim.

After several targets and adjusting my aim, I ended up with a load of 80 gr of 3F Graf, 1/2 fiber wad greased up with deer tallow/olive oil mix, over shot card, 1 1/2 #5 nickel plated shot and a over shot card. I have to pretty much put the bottom of my front sight right on where I want the pattern to go and I seem to be shooting a tad to the left as you can see in this first pic. I aimed just to the right of the second target.

Considering what I hunted turkeys with the last two years, this jug choked gun is a BIG BIG improvement pattern wise.

turkeytarget41708a.jpg

turkeytarget41708b.jpg

Looks like you got that figured for sure. Good luck on your turkey hunt. :thumbsup: I still haven't got my spring turkey. If I don't hurry up the season will be over.

Those Jug Chokes are something.
I use that same Turkey target and think they're excellent.

If you haven't already tried it, next time you get a chance you might want to shoot a couple targets with one of those 1/2" cushion wads sliced in half so it's only a 1/4" thick...or use 2 Oxyoke 1/8" wads if you have some...you might find you're pattern will reach out another 5 yards.

Mine is consistent to 40yds but I used #6s, not #5s, so there's some more pellets in there...but the #6s punch through a thick metal pork & beans can at 40yds, and they've dropped one at 40yds and one at 30yds...only takes a couple pellets into the skull or neck vertebrae. That said, I now know I can get them closer and am hunting this year with the Jake decoy set at 25yds instead of 40.

I went last Saturday and Monday mornings...saw the same Tom with 6 hens both times...once as close as 75yds, but he's all henned up and stays fanning and strutting back and forth among them...has no interest in leaving them to come to some unseen yelps :grin: ...going again tomorrow, Saturday, and Monday mornings.

Good luck with your new .62cal

Swamp Rat said:
Yeah I did cut the fiber wads in half and used only a half of one with each load. :thumbsup:

When I read: 1/2 fiber wad my mind translated that to 1/2" fiber wad :redface:

roundball said:
Swamp Rat said:
Yeah I did cut the fiber wads in half and used only a half of one with each load. :thumbsup:

When I read: 1/2 fiber wad my mind translated that to 1/2" fiber wad :redface:
:haha: thats what I read the first time

:haha: I have a homemade turkey bone call that on a good day I can actually make it sound a little like a turkey. :rotf: Also one of those push button turkey calls.

Latest posts

Back