• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The War that made America, parts 3 and 4, a review

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aragorn

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, following my comments earlier on Parts 1 and 2, I regret to say that my opinion remains unaltered.

Here are just a few issues.

The War of Independence. The final half of Part 4 is taken up with a rushed and extraordinarily simplistic attempt to link the French and Indian War with the American War of Independence. I think the producers felt they had to do this to capture the audience somehow, which was odd given that it came at the end of the series. Of course the link exists historically, but the picture painted here failed to bring in a lot of crucial factors necessary for an accurate understanding. For example, there was absolutely no mention of the French connection - either the association with the ideals of the French Revolution, or the involvement of the French logistically and strategically in the American Revolution. Or, for that matter, the obsessive British conflict throughout the latter 18th century with the French in Europe, and the consequent sidelining of the American conflict when it erupted - one of the factors in the American success. According to this series, the French just disappeared forever from N American affairs after the Plains of Abraham.

The British Empire. The series repeatedly refered to the British 'Empire' in North America, especially after the French defeat. This is a misleading, anachronistic term, and gives a distorted impression of where the main British interests abroad lay in the mid-late 18th century. The British only thought of themselves as managing an 'Empire' a hundred years later, after Queen Victoria was crowned Empress of India in 1876. Until the Indian Mutiny in 1857-8, India was run as a private commercial enterprise by the East India Company. India, not N America, is the key to understanding the British perspective on colonial matters in the 18th century. By the time of the French and Indian wars, Englishmen were returning home from India with huge fortunes, the so-called 'White Moghuls'. By contrast, N America was a drain on resources, especially during the wars, with no obvious prospect of private profit on anything like the scale of India. The relatively few Englishmen who had the leisure and knowledge to care about the colonies would have been little bothered by America, and if pressed would probably have been inclined to sympathise with the demands of the American colonists in the 1770s - anti-Americanism would only have come about with the stirring up of patriotic zeal once the British Army was committed, and not because the English in England coveted America as part of a British 'Empire.'

The dastardly British. Yet again British leaders are painted as arrogant, obnoxious, snobbish, effete, effeminate, fat and ugly. Undoubtedly there were some who fit this bill, just as there were some incompetent American leaders (the early version of George Washington springs to mind), but there were also some remarkably gifted and visionary British leaders, military and otherwise. How else do you explain the extraordinary success of the British Empire? It depended always on a small number of remarkable men who often empathised greatly with their 'subjects', and fought against attempts at oppression. The series producers should have learned from Julius Caesar - denigrate your enemies and it downgrades your own victory, but glorify your enemies and your victory becomes all the more impressive.

The War of Independence. The final half of Part 4 is taken up with a rushed and extraordinarily simplistic attempt to link the French and Indian War with the American War of Independence. I think the producers felt they had to do this to capture the audience somehow, which was odd given that it came at the end of the series.

Actually, they linked it in the first 5 mintues of episode 1 when they opened with the troops on Long Island in 1776. I didn't really mind the closing scene, in my mind, it was the best, and most inspiring part of the series. Although, some of the actors and re-enactors were terrific, the repeated scenes dulled the project. How they could do this project without including Wes Studi as an indian, somewhere, is beyond me. Maybe he's getting too old? :(

It was great to see so many native Americans involved in this project. They were by far the best actors in the series, and did a great job of re-enactment. But it went too far - too many of them were overweight, with too many wobbling bodies running through the woods. There were some pretty big guys in war paint lumbering around them thar woods. They needed a crash diet and boot camp before filming started! Maybe it simply didn't strike the producers as historically inaccurate, as everyone in North America is so overweight these days. Having said that, I'd emphasize that the Indians were undoubtedly the best actors used in this series. And the re-enactors as a whole did a great job, including the soldiers - acting better than some of the second-rate professional actors taking the main roles, in my view.

Don't know if it is true or not, but I read on another board that they used very few actual re-enactors. Most of them were just actors/extras.

I agree that the last half of episode four was drawn out and clumsy. A friend of mine here in Pittsburgh (it was our PBS channel that made the series) told me that the director has done mainly training films in the past. Again, I can't verify that, but it would explain a lot.

Aaron

It would explain the repetitions - drum in a few main points by repeating them over and over again, and keep things simple. Maybe they saw it as something for schools, but if so that makes some of the limitations, educationally speaking, even more glaring.

I work in a public school system, and am waiting for someone high up the food chain to wake up and realize that, A. American history is important for something other than being distorted to push some modern agenda; and, B. the best way to teach it is not to pound it through skulls with repeated hammer-blows of information, but to actually make it interesting. Unfortunately, most of the history teachers I've known (which is not to say all or even a majority of the teachers in this country -- just the ones I've known) appear to be just as bored with their subject matter as the kids are.

I couldn't agree more.

One of the more hilarious scenes was of George Washington amiably passing the time of day with one of his well-fed, happy looking agricultural labourers. What a decent chap this Washington was, generously providing employment for those African-American fellows so soon after they immigrated, helping to integrate them into their chosen land. I don't think there was mention of slavery anywhere. And as for the Indians, apart from the occasional bout of tomahawking and scalping, to which they were understandably driven by the vile white man, they were very well-fed fellows who loved to run around the woods, painted their faces interesting colours, and provided loving, caring homes for any white woman who wanted to stay with them.

If I'd seen this sort of stuff as a kid I would have been turned off too, simply because it is so obviously garbage. The real stupidity is that 'corrected' or distorted history ultimately backfires, since it doesn't help to explain the present, and thus becomes about as meaningful as a bad computer game - boring teachers and students alike. Actually, since teachers are so hamstrung by political correctness and political agendas, I get the impression that schoolkids get better history from some computer games than they do in the classroom.

Back