• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Shoemaker's Doldrums

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thecapgunkid

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Any other craft turkeys out there in between projects? You know...that sort of day where you have everything you can think of that you need, all your sales are finished and you are standing at the bench looking down with nothing to do but you came into the shop anyway because the dinner was done and you did not want to hear your kids yelling at their kids and can't think of a name for the syndrome when you start writing run on sentences?

I just wrote another article for the Cowboy Chronicle, am doting over my auction for the Pedersoli I am trying to sell on gunbroker, playing scrabble on my wife's I Pad and it's gonna snow again this weekend.

I actually whipped out some Hail Mary's for the Esopus Club to be clear next weekend so I can shoot and need a bigger car to offload all the stuff I have for trade.

This isn't what retirement is like....right???

watch out for that retirement thing ... my dad warned me that it was dangerously close to work...

(sorry about the four- letter words ending in "K")

I'm sitting here with an arm that is recovering from shoulder surgery and it won't go up any higher than my shoulder. I can't shoot my rifle yet because my arm won't support the weight of a rifle. I can't lift anything heavy with that arm and every time I go into my garage/shop, I look at projects that have been on hold ever since my accident in October. I have trouble, my friend....trouble. That starts with T which rhymes with P and that stands for......uh :hmm: ......what the hell does it stand for? :idunno: I guess in my case it stands for Patience and mine is wearing thin. :haha: :haha:

A word of warning! I got impatient, and didn't follow doc's orders, and tore out his repair. I'm closing in on two years not being able to shoot, work on guns, or even engrave because I need to raise my elbow on certain cuts. Am now able to do everything, will find out if I can shoot this turkey season. Follow his orders, heal well.

Get well, Billnpat. Hate to see good folks sidelined.

Yeah, I did my homework on Friday, but that was only after I realized I needed grades to get into USMC Officers school to fly and college to get into the USMC Officers school.

Then either the CIA or the North Vietnamese figured out I was coming and ended the war before I could get to Pensacola.

Have not worked on Friday nor stood in line for food since.

Now I am looking around for a rifle project . Probably call Barbi or visit Greg Dixon on Good Friday...

Greg Geiger said:
and you are standing at the bench looking down with nothing to do but you came into the shop anyway

I highly recommend a large project with LOTS of hand sewing. It is amazing all the things you can "come up with" to do when you have hours of sewing sitting on your bench......... :surrender: Ok I've got to get back to making this :cursing: backpack.

:rotf:

I just finished an osage selfbow and a dozen arrows. The wife wants the stair railing fixed (replaced.. :shocked2: ) and the mower is still in the repair shop. Garden is tilled but too cold and wet to plant yet.
Oh, and I have a 13 year old daughter who is busy with two martial arts plus other school and after school activities.
Yep, retirement is sooo "dull".... :shake:

Sean and Paul...

A Portmanteau. Yeah, that's it, a portmanteau....maybe I can pick up a project at Dixon's. Yeah, that's it, a portmanteau and a project from Dixons.

While I am at it, I need a pair of shoes for myself. Maybe I'll start them before we move.

OK, OK...so there's a portmanteau, a project from Dixons, a pair of shoes and a move.

Wait a second...once we move in with my daughter I am going to need a shed to act as a shop....

Greg Geiger said:
Any other craft turkeys out there in between projects? You know...that sort of day where you have everything you can think of that you need....

Careful what you wish for. A few years back I ventured out from muzzleloader stuff, and now I'm making about 10 of those for anything remotely muzzleloading. Lots of fun, but it sure takes you off into different materials and methods. I particularly like designing my own stuff and building from self-made patterns.

Not a list for everyone, but I'm getting lots of satisfaction from 1880-era leather fly boxes and fly reel cases, fishing shoulder bags and other accessories, iPad, iPhone and laptop computer cases, lidded square and round storage boxes and mini-tool boxes, briefcases, gun slings and ammo carriers for modern rifles, covers for binoculars and spotting scopes and belt sheaths for laser rangefinders, Leatherman belt sheaths, camera shoulder bags, camera covers, lens cases, golf ball sleeves, golf club covers, and jewelry boxes. To name a few. Plenty to do, even if it has zip to do with muzzleloading.

A most sincere thank you to all those who have wished me a speedy recovery. :hatsoff: :hatsoff:

Latest posts

Back