• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The New .54 Worked

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catof9tails

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I recently posted about buying a 54 percussion Investarms (Cabelas) Hawken rifle. I've been reading this forum for a while now, plus the responses I've received from my post(s) and can't thank ya'll enough on the advice.

I just jumped in and started out with 70 grains, a 530 RB and used some .10 thick cotton patches that came with the rifle. After the three shots the patches were being ripped and shreaded. So I went to .15 thickness pillow ticking patches and they stayed complete. After seeing the patch results, I went to zero in the rifle at 10 yards. Then took some shots at 25 yards with amazing results. After seven shots I had two stray bullets (three inches from dead center) and five grouped within two inches. I figured that since I had no experience with RB, that was some good shooting for starters. I've got to say thanks for all the input. Ya'll saved me a lot of time and effort. I think I'll just stay at 70 grains for now. Don't see a need to work up another load with that grouping. Plus need to get more experience with the rifle.

Hmmmm......wonder if I can convince the wife to let me buy that Lyman 54 Great Plains Rifle with 1:60 twist? That's gonna cost me a lot of Honey Do's. Hee Hee

Thanks folks for the info.

Catof9tails

catof9tails: It's great that you got her working! (The gun, not your wife).
Don't be so fixed on your load though. The next time you shoot your 54, go ahead and try 5 shots with 75 grains of powder.

These guns are individuals. They each have their own likes and while 70 grains seemed to be working well, you never know. 75 grains, or 80 grains or for that matter, 65 grains might shrink that 2 inch group down to something you can cover with a quarter.

One clue to the load not being quite right is the two flyers.

Don't get me wrong. The flyers could be due to a number of things like lube, or the sight picture changing ever so slightly between the pull of the trigger and the gun actually firing. (As you have found, or are going to find, sometimes there is a barely noticable lag between the pull of the trigger and the guns actual firing.)

Anyway, I'm glad you had fun. There is more fun ahead for you, I guarrentteeee. :)

Zonie is right about varying the load and check it out. Five grains either way can make a big difference. The .50 I finished in July was a good case. I started out with 40 gr. FFFg GEOX and .015 pillow ticking and got a two inch group. I went up to .022 inch denim and the group went to an inch and a half. Boosting the load five grains brought it in to one ragged hole.

The next time you get the chance, put it on the bench and play with the load. It's tedius but well worth the trouble.

Mike and Zonie: No doubt I had fun at the range. I was wanting to learn to shoot round balls and kinda go more traditional in a percussion way. I can't explain the two stray shots. All shots were taken from a rested bench. I did have two patches that had a small hole burned through. I kinda think since the gun was never fired by the original owner, that I might have a burr on the rifling....it's just my guess. The other patches were intact. Someone mentioned in a past forum to run 100 strokes of 0000 steel wool to remove the burrs, but I haven't done that. I've also found a sharp burr at the end of the barrel that may be cutting the patch when loading the ball. Not sure how to take care of that.

I'll try some different loads and see how that works. But I'm a little confused on how lube can affect the accuracy. I lubed the pillow ticking patches with Natrual Lube 1000 made by Thompson Center Co. I saturated the patches to the point the cloth looked wet, but with no excess lube showing. Enough to the point if you picked up the patch and held your fingers up to the sunlight you could see a light shiny film on your fingers. I don't know if that's correct or not enough lube. I would guess I need to work the patch lube out before changing the powder charge.

Guess I'm asking for some fine tuning. Your comments are much appreciated.

Cat9

PS: The wife said no on the Lyman .54 with 1:60 twist. Bummer! Guess I'll have to send a letter to Santa Clause, Hee Hee.

If the rifle were mine, I would use a small piece of 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper on my finger sanding round and round the bore to remove the burr there and to remove the sharp edges on the rifleing grooves right at the muzzle.

I bet you will find Santa Clause will totally understand your need for a new rifle...that is, unless Mrs Santa Clause finds out about it. ::

Back