• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Mountain Men

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flint311

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the correct place, but just got back from "Dollar General" with an $8 DVD of "The Mountain Men". Been checking discount bins for a while and they had several. Trying to build a collection...

Great Movie. Mine is almost worn out.
See if you can spot where Heston blew his lines or else the writer got it wrong. At any rate no one noticed cause its still in there. :rotf:
Ron

Hawkthrower said:
Great Movie. Mine is almost worn out.
See if you can spot where Heston blew his lines or else the writer got it wrong. At any rate no one noticed cause its still in there. :rotf:
Ron

Do you mean "South Fork and Three Pass?" I thought that was intentional (or almost) just 'cause he'd been drinking.

one of the best. mine was worn out but found a new one on amazon now im good for a few years :thumbsup:

-----walmart in lancaster co.PA.east of Lancaster RT 30--has the MOUNTAIN MEN------

I like the gunfight near the end where Bill Tyler fires his flintlock at the charging Blackfoot and Henry Frapp gets a shot of vent gas in the face. Talk about realism!

and, its my understanding that the AMM were on hand as advisers for historical accuracy. i do love the movie!!!! brain kieth was awesome!!!!!

karwelis said:
and, its my understanding that the AMM were on hand as advisers for historical accuracy. i do love the movie!!!! brain kieth was awesome!!!!!

If that is the case, IMHO, they didn't do a very good job.

J.D. said:
karwelis said:

If that is the case, IMHO, they didn't do a very good job.

in some areas they did, in others they didnt. i mean heck, this is the same group that claims to have moved liver eatin johnson to cody wyoming, when in actuality it was lakeview middle school lancaster calif. so whos know what to believe from the AMM (American Mountain Men)

The German said:
O.K. need a collection too!! What can you recommend so far on mountain men movies?

"Jerimiah Johnson" of course. One made back in the '50s is not bad. "Across the Wide Missouri" is another. It uses pieces of the Mountain Lamb and Pierre's Hole stories for the plot. Very good for its time.

Cool! I have to add "Across the Wide Missouri" and "The Big Sky". I think Dollar General had these too. I've got "Jeremiah Johnson" already. Any more???

One has to remember that The Mountainmen was a movie for entertainment purpose's. As far as the AMM on the set. There probably were some, but I and several of my friends there also hired as extra's didn't hear about them and anybody who had a good set of skins could get hired as an extra. Getting paid to Rendezvous with great meals everyday worked for us!

Rick

"The Black Robes" is an excellent movie! How about "Last of the Mohicans" with Daniel Day Lewis? I believe Mark Baker was a technical advisor on that film. I think there was a recent "Alamo" movie too with Billy Bob Thornton. I haven't been able to locate a copy however. Has anyone seen it? And what did you think?

I've seen the Alamo movie with Billy Bob Thornton as Davy Crockett, but I can't remember the name of it. It isn't too bad, entertainment-wise. But if we have a few on the Forum who have seen it, it will be fun getting a listing of the things that are "wrong" and "inaccurate"!

One that I remember off the top of my head is one shot by Billy Bob at a Mexican, and he has his head turned to the side. There is no way in real life he should have hit his target. He looked UNCOMFORTABLE shooting that gun.

But as I said, entertainment-wise, I thought it was okay.

I don't intend to set off any inaccuracy posts, but they would be entertaining on this movie. :grin:

Outdoorman

Back