• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The incredible shrinking BP counter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only thing that I buy at Bass pro is my caps, every thing else is on line.Nobody in my area carry's BP stuff.

:applause: paul i agree with you, that we need to get younger guys involved! so when a youngun gets a chance to buy a cheap old bp gun , maybe it would be better to encourage them to go for it instead of telling them its a piece of junk and save up for a expensive one,ive seen that happen on this forum more than once. im not saying they shouldnt be advised against it if there is a safety issue involved, but we should all remember, a poor man has poor ways! if he buys that 50 buck ,plastic stocked piece of manure, hes still gettin his feet wet, and if he likes the water he will upgrade as he can, and the more he gets involved, the more people he will meet and the chances of him getting a better deal on a nice gun will increase! also hes young, and has other young buddies and that could cause a spark! so lets be thoughtful on advising against the cheaper guns and maybe we wont be shootin ourselves in the foot

When I grew up, I could not afford to buy a BB gun, even if my parents would have let me buy it. So, I traded another kid a pile of comic books, a hand made bow and arrow with a quiver made from old rags, for a Crossman BB pistol.

Later,( when I was only 8 years old) several of us made a "Zip Gun"- using a car antenna for a .22 caliber( sorta) smoothbore barrel, and taping it inside the shell of a pot-metal Cap pistol we "rescued" from someone's garbage can. We drilled a hole into the face of the hammer, and put a piece of nail, filed to a sharp edge, and then heated and doused in water in our attempt to harden it( what did we know about metallurgy back then?) as a firing pin. We used rubber bands to drop the hammer , as the spring and trigger in the cap gun didn't work any more. We had found .22 ammo over several years where people had dropped them - along railroad tracks, in empty fields, etc. around the subdivision. We took our collection of ammo out to some vacant cemetery property with a mound of dirt to use as a backstop, and gave it a go. Every cartridge that would discharge Did- altho we had several that were defective.

That "Success" got every kid in the block Interested in guns, and getting a "Real gun" as soon as we could convince the parents to let us have one. I had the money saved for my first gun within a year, and took another 5 years to convince my father to let me buy one. I still have that gun- a Win. Mod. 67, Single Shot .22 rifle, at a cost of $16.00. Every odd job that earned me a quarter got me closer. I would save quarters until I had enough to take to the local bank, on my bicycle, to convert to a dollar bill. When I had 5 singles, I changed them for a 5 dollar bill. I still remember the satisfaction I had when I changed a ten, five, four singles and four quarters for a $20.00 bill- more than enough to buy the gun I wanted, and some ammo for it. I was just short of my 10th birthday.

i think parents can help their kids the best by giving them the responsibility to earn their own money to buy any guns, or other sporting equipment they want- rather than buying it for them. Kids today are not that different than we were- and we were less likely to get "bored" with some activity, and switch to another, when we had spent OUR own money to equip ourselves for that activity. That's why I still have that first gun, my first knife, etc.

and there you have it folks, it wasnt a high dolla show piece but it set off a spark that is obviously still at least smoldering today! paul started with a piece of manure and has probally some mighty fine weapons today! the defense rests!

:rotf: actually you could prob tell by petes disposition he didnt get to play with it! prob wouldnt have wanted to any way since it wasnt a colts antenna prob came off a earlier model chevy :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

We have a good shop up in Manitou Springs that stocks BP and anything you need, I try to use them for all my needs.

Ive always thought my ideas on hunting have been fairly ahead of my age. Im late 20's and I find hunting with traditional archery and flintlocks very challenging and rewarding. I started down this road when I got a compound bow and thought there must be a simpliar way. Thats how I got into recurves and longbows. I seem to have gone the same route with rifles. I like the challenge but I also like the feeling of having first hand knowledge of the challenges people in the past had to face.

Latest posts

Back