• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The GPR...the AWFUL GPR that was cheap.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Austin

32 Cal
Reaction score
I kept saying, over the last 5 days, that's good enough...and picked up a file, or piece of sandpaper or my little can of BLO and did something else to it. Maybe if there wasn't so much WRONG I wouldn't keep fixing it. But..I think it's pretty much presentable...stockwise...that I took a picture...or two...for your delectation. Finish is 1000 grit paper and one (1) slather of BLO...mostly. Every time it was good enough I slathered...so some parts may have more than one. This time, however, I didn't have a clean rag to wipe it off.

BUT...there was a handy plastic shopping bag and too lazy to fetch cloth...I used plastic. It worked like magic! D3E6F0F5-8878-4954-A45C-7223A2335912.jpeg I do not have decent metal though.. 2765E76B-C2D3-465B-A004-A9D8AF7E0576.jpeg yet.

Lookin good. I refinished my GPR too. That mud brown factory finish just wasn’t doing it for me.

Yes, the GPR is a good candidate for improving.
IMG_1292 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

Yes, the GPR is a good candidate for improving.
IMG_1292 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr
vv
I kept saying, over the last 5 days, that's good enough...and picked up a file, or piece of sandpaper or my little can of BLO and did something else to it. Maybe if there wasn't so much WRONG I wouldn't keep fixing it. But..I think it's pretty much presentable...stockwise...that I took a picture...or two...for your delectation. Finish is 1000 grit paper and one (1) slather of BLO...mostly. Every time it was good enough I slathered...so some parts may have more than one. This time, however, I didn't have a clean rag to wipe it off.

BUT...there was a handy plastic shopping bag and too lazy to fetch cloth...I used plastic. It worked like magic!View attachment 314613 I do not have decent metal though.. View attachment 314614 yet.

I'd like to say I discovered something new...but...every kit gun, rifle, revolver had something that the factory didn't like. Something that would preclude offering it as a finished gun. "Oh God...that's awful...box it up as a kit.:" In my case...it's always been the wrist. There's a weakness in the wrist...a knot...every time. Unless what I'm seeing is a metal stain...like trees from a battlefield. WW2...over in 1945, surviving trees are just ready to harvest in 1970 to 1990. Makes a guy think.

Back