• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Good, the Bad and the Visible

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhett45acp

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

The good, maybe, I think. A $12 camera on a 2 meter lead tells a story.

I have some of these little cameras I use for other projects. I thought I would run one down the bore of my 50 cal.

The good, it is $12 camera and I think the breach end looks pretty good. Please chime in if you think different. Looks like threading material all around the edges of the plug ??

The bad, I do see IMHO some rust. This gun has not been used in 30 years and has been stored. Patches read a clean bore. Looking down the barrel with the eyeball and light it looks good. I don't think it is as clean as I thought.

The Visible, well see the photos. What do you think? Any others here stuffed a cheap cam down their bore to see what to see?

Am I going to shoot it like it is? Absolutely. Just waiting for a break in the tropic weather.

bore1.JPG
bore2.JPG

Yes, cheap camera won’t show any hairline cracks but I’m not burning our a barrel with hot unmentionable loads.

just need to see if it’s clean and my cheap camera does that perfectly adequately.

C38BB371-F39C-43A4-8E8A-C1D1A457DFCD.jpeg

There was another thread about rusty barrel here recently. The OP was advised to try Evapo Rust. I picked up some last night. Plugged the breach and filled the barrel. This is what I have after about 10 hours. I cleaned the barrel with a brass brush for a few strokes then just patches. Used Moose Milk to start then straight Ballistol. Dry patches at end.

I think an improvement?
bores1.JPG
bores2.png

I hope I answer this correctly. It is a 5.5mm Dual Usb 6LED Android Endoscope Waterproof Inspection Camera
Screenshot from 2021-07-22 19-40-01.png

It was $12 from eBay. I use Linux Mint and VLC to just capture video and snap shot.

I hope I answer this correctly. It is a 5.5mm Dual Usb 6LED Android Endoscope Waterproof Inspection Camera
View attachment 86139

It was $12 from eBay. I use Linux Mint and VLC to just capture video and snap shot.
You got to love Linux....great OS.
I think I have an up and coming date with that article at the VA...and I ain't happy. 😖

That's a dramatic enough improvement for me to find some Evaporust.
I thought I was ridiculously anal about bore cleaning; even have a set of concave drop mirrors for a better look down the bores. My primary rifle looked mirror-bright - until I ran a scope down (& mine doesn't show laterally as well as yours)!
I got out an undersized bronze brush; wrapped it in 0000 steel wool; and went through all the BP cleaners I've accumulated, many patches and about 2 hours, scrubbing and scoping, scrubbing and scoping. Better, but not that clean.

Thanks for the lead.

Back