• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Gift

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RwBeV

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Most of us would love to have a rifle given to us, this is one I wish I would have never received. It belongs to a friend of mine in Santa Fe NM, his name is Mike. I built this gun for him a little over 20 years ago he stayed with me in the shop the whole time. About 6 months ago I got a phone call from him I hadn’t heard from him in a year or so. He sounded a bit funny on the phone, I asked what was up? He said he had some bad news he had just been diagnosed with advanced Lou Gerhig’s disease. This is man that made it through Vietnam in the Marine Corps, the 60’s and lots of hunting trips with me. I still remember the first Elk hunting trip with him, he looked at Mt Kent in north west WY and said “were going to climb that”??!! He never quit or complained all the way up, at 10500ft we camped, he looked pretty rough. As I helped him unload his back pack I almost died laughing he had a full thermos of coffee, 2 boxes of 54 round balls, 2 lbs of powder, 2 1858 Remington’s and a 15lb bag of granola. I should have helped him pack his pack. He and I have been up some pretty rough trails together.

My folks went to see him last week, when they got back they had the rifle that we had built together and all his black powder stuff. I know what this means, it’s had to describe how I feel. I have to get down there and see him so as soon as I can scrape up the money I’m out of here.

I would like to honor him by hunting with the gun this coming season. My question is can one shoot a left handed flintlock right handed with out getting the carp burned out of him? I can shoot left handed ok, but im not comfortable enough to hunt that way.

Bob

SAM_0652-1.jpg

:hatsoff:

I know a couple of leftys who shoot right handed flinters, so you shouldn't have a problem, just be mindful of the vent. :thumbsup:

Funny you should mention that, Mike started out using a right handed Renegade. He went to foul the bore one day and held the forend with his right hand, the vent was pointed right at his forearm....He still has the speckled tattoo on his forearm.

Bob

I think it would be a great tribute to your friend if you learned to shoot it left handed, if even just a few times. I wish your friend God speed on his journey and hope you get to see him beforehand.

Bob, I have a prayer for your friend Mike tonight!
The memories and his rifle should make you smile! Remember his comraderie. I hope you get to visit with him soon! Oh yea, your topknot will be OK just watch out for that touch hole jet blast!

I can feel your pain. I was given a 36 caliber flintlock by John Kaser ( whitetail ) when his cancer got really bad just before he died. I would rather have him alive and healthy than his gun! Oh the stories I could tell about deer hunting with Whitetail ! :( :(

I hope you get to see him soon. As he saw fit to give you the rifle, you mean a lot to him also. Friends like this are hard to come by and even harder to keep for many reasons. You'll shoot fine with a lefty gun, just shoot it lefty for him, once in a while. Prayers sent up for him and thank him for his service, we're all better off for it!

Hi Bob,
I wish you well on your trip to visit an old friend.
Making our mark in time, in creating a fine rifle as you and your friend did. Is what life is all about.
I'm sure it would make your friend happy, to see his rifle and you make one more hunt, in his honor.
Memories are pieces of time captured in a special moment, that have a smile, and a touch of good will attached with it.
As long as you have this fine rifle, the laughter and good times that you had will live again in your heart.
God bless
Old Ford

I don't know your situation, but please listen to my voice of experience.

DO NOT DELAY too long in trying to visit your friend. Time is not on your side.

I don't know how practical it would be or if it is even possible, but go to a bank or a savings and loan and check about a small loan to make this trip.

I lost a friend and classmate to cancer last October. I was going to drop a line, make a phone call, try to see him if he was in the area, but my schedule interfered, I thought of it all too late at night, etc. etc...a hundred of excuses. And all of them I could have easily changed IF I would have.
I always had tomorrow. :nono:

He didn't. :(

Go see your friend one last time.

Outdoorman

I was medically retired a couple of years ago due to a failed back surgery. So my income is pretty much set in stone. I sell a rifle once in while but thats about it for mad money. Since Im only about half way through with my latest build that wont help. But your right time is not on my side he is starting to lose his voice and I want to get down there before he cant talk. So as bad as I hate to borrow money I'm going to ask my folks so I can get down there before the end of the month.

I would like to thank every one that posted for your kind words and prayers.

Thanks again
Bob

Although I do not know you, your words sing out loudly with your grief. Visit your friend as soon as you can. I'm sure it would mean much to him and help to give you some closure. The rifle will be something really nice to help remember and honor his memory down the trail. If you are a believer Psalms:91 always gave me strength in times of trouble.

P.S. You won't have any trouble shooting it right handed. I'm a lefty and always had to shoot right handed flinters without any issue until I had my first custom built.

Bob, good advice here. Don't delay your trip. The gift of the rifle speaks volumes, not only of your friend's condition, but also what he thinks of you. Friendship like that can't be bought, sold or traded.
Both of you are in my prayers.

Payers for your friend and for you. His memories and fondness of your friendship and memories of your time together are priceless. It speaks volumes about you.

My mother died from Lou Gerhig’s. Her mind was 100% sharp as a tack. But her body was shutting down a bit more each day. At the end she could barely speak and not move at all. She enjoyed talking to friends who lived a long ways off. We would hold the phone to her ear and she would smile. So give your friend a few calls before you make it there. And a few after. It would mean more to him than you would think. My prayers go to him and his care givers. Larry

I have to admit I can barly read your post with out tearing up! I'll pray for you both... sad to see good men go out this way. tell your friend from another brother in arms sempi fi!!!!!!!!

Bob
Go as quick as you can. I have lost friends, and I can tell you that you must do everything you can. All has been said already. Procrastination has no place here.
I'm sorry.

And a worthy Rifle passed on by a worthy Rifleman takes on a life of it's own. Take care of it, and when the time comes, pass it on to the next worthy Rifleman, along with all the stories & history. Your friend, and all those deserving who ever shot it will live every time the Hammer falls....

E

I can barley find the words,I have been floored by the response to this thread. The offers of help and the prayers being offered brought me to tears more than once. I have always offered strangers help, change a tire, pull someone out of a snow bank, buy a homeless person a burger, or just hold the door for people, and my number one rule, never take money for it. I wondered when it would come around. Well it has, thank you all. I have alway maintained that black powder folks are the best folks out there, you all have proved that.

I have talk to my family they have all agreed to help, so I think I have it covered. As soon as I get down there I will show this thread. I am waiting for an email right now to find out when would be the best time to go down there.

I started this thread to ask a questoin...I could have never guessed the answers I would get, I got much more than I bargained for. I need to quit typing now, I have something in my eye.

Thank you all again, God Bless
Bob

Back