• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The farthest shot you’ve succecfully made...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My farthest shot, was at a deer, and was successful...110 yards. I messed up range estimation and thought she was just under 90 yards. :oops:

I've hit steel at 150 yards.

I'm trying to get a membership at a range where one can shoot longer range.

LD

Personal best, Mule deer doe at 105 yards, ww cast rb in an old .50 Renegade. Passed completely through on broadside standing, tore the heart apart and dumped her in 4 steps. I still remember the life fluid pouring out as she took those steps.
Walk

3 years ago I killed my biggest Florida buck ever. A 7 point with a 15 1/2" inside spread and 21" main beams. I got him with a 112 yd. shot with my Hawken replica. My farthest shot ever at game with a black powder gun.

Best and never duplicated by me. I believe I got lucky. I once confirmed and MAYBE twice managed to hit the 18" steel plate set at 200 yards at my local range. I say maybe on the second because there were other people shooting at the range and I'm not sure it was my shot that rang the steel.

I really loved the story about Joseph Plumb Martin. He said the shot was a half of a mile--880 yards. I think that is an exaggeration on his part. And I've never seen a six foot barrel on a muzzle loader, another exaggeration. However, I do think the nameless Continental used a rifle to make the shot instead of a musket. My fartherest shot was when I was in the USMC shooting an unmentionable rifle and qualified "rifle expert" at the 500 yard line. I even wasted a few shots on my buddy's target so he would qualify. Of course that was back in 1969 and I doubt that I could do it today. So far I haven't shot my flinter for distance but I will give it a try soon.

Hunting near Alice, TX often involved shooting Jack rabbits. But after building my first percussion Kentucky rifle, I had to impose a monthly "Limit" on these rabbits. In 1964, while walking in a pasture, I jumped a Jack rabbit. He ran all the way down the hill and up to the top of the next hill. The rabbit felt safe at that distance. I aimed, raised the point of aim 6 inches, and touched the set trigger. That rabbit fell like it was hit by a hammer! My 40 caliber ball went thru its shoulder, about 8 inches below the point of aim. The distance was measured at 154 Yards.

BTW, that rifle was chronographed at 1950 FPS, using my standard black powder charge.

Back