• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The backup wad works, yahoo!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjgreen123

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Shot my .58 using the .018 patch as a wad between the powder and ball and it worked great. If someone can explain to me how the heck to add a picture to this site I will add my targets and shot patches pics. Basically I shot a pretty good 4" group at 60 yds right off and then finally got 2 or 3 nice shots in a 2" group on the final round. Yahoo!! Gathered up my patches and while the ball patches were not burnt they did have slight "tears/cuts" on 4 sides which makes me think that they are being cut slightly by the barrel on loading. Here is what I did exactly; used 80 gr of 777-(considering upping this to 90 gr to help tighten up a little more), folded up .018 as wad, ball with a .018 patch with bore butter lube. Tried to be as firm but gentle with ramming the ball home so as not to distort the ball. Very pleased with my outing yesterday, I still need some range practice to tighten things up but I am becoming very comfortable with the gun. Thanks again to skenton, necchi, brownbear, jethro and many others for your invaluable advice. I AM HOOKED.

Last edited by a moderator:
GLAD IT WORKED! I learned it from someone on here a while back and I am HOOKED as well! The cuts are probably from your rifling..I can't remember , but did you purchase your 58 cal new? If so It might require a "break in " time period. give it about 100 or so shots. My T/C was like that. If it's not new..then you might consider running some scotchbrite or 0000 steel wool,Spray some Wd40 down your barrel then wrap your steel wool or scotchbright around your cleaning jag and run it up and down for a period of time.That should clean up your rifling enough to get rid your cut patches. Then clean your barrel, just like you would normally.
I would, instead of bumping up your powder to 90 grains.. possibly dropping it to 70 before bumping going to 90grains.

Thanks for the shout back with the good news.

I don't recall which 58 you're using, but those cut patches sound just like the 58 cal GM barrels I've known. But I'm happy to report that the cutting went away after 100-200 shots, and accuracy improved even more.

Whichever 58 you're shooting, I'd just keep on shooting and let the cuts take care of themselves as the barrel "shoots in." You can lap the bore to speed the process using a variety of techniques, but it's sure a whole lot more fun just to shoot.

I will definitely be using it for the whitetail gun season, but we are blessed with free ranging Axis on our lease in the Texas hillcountry so I will be looking to shoot one this weekend hopefully. You can hunt these guys year round and most landowners welcome all that you can shoot. Axis meat is by far the best game meat that I have experienced no matter how it is prepared. very excited to be shooting well with this ML. :wink:

AxisIMG00013.jpg

here is a picture of a pretty good one I got last fall.

What kinda deer is that?
I know Tex is sposta have big stuff, but our fawns loose their spots long before they git THAT big,, :haha:

Axis meat is by far the best game meat that I have experienced no matter how it is prepared. very excited to be shooting well with this ML. :wink: [/quote]
Oh, no doubt about that, although I shot a sika buck that had wandered off the game ranch next door and literally walked directly into my sights, and it ate like sirloin. Axis is plenty good though!

That is an axis deer, and being an exotic there is no season or bag limit other than what the land owner imposes. However, since it is not a native to the U.S., if it is on your land it's fair game, no matter who raised it. They have become great escape artists and breed twice a year sometimes so in certain places they have become pests. Some landowners are in the process of eliminating their axis populations all together.

Latest posts

Back