• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Test fire my "Brookson" no barrel bending for me!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ohhh thank the shootin gods for not makin me go through the dreaded barrel bending! I got to test her out today. Unfortunately when we arrived at the club, we were greeted by a floor that was half painted the night before leaving only half of the house to shoot from and the only bench that is tailor made for me was stored outside along with most of the other benches. So I had to use one of the normal shooting benches which wasn't very comfortable but I made it work.

I went with .600 balls and patches from .010, .015, .018, .020 and .024 thickness. I grabbed a bear greased .020 and loaded her finding that patch size a bit of a chore to load. I recorded the first shot with the vid cam. I used my custom measure made for this gun by Scobrien that throws 83.5 KIK 3F. Using a recycled target I was pleasantly surprised to see the first shot was basically 3/4" right and about 1/2" high from point of aim! Shown in the second video. I swabbed the bore and loaded the same except I used a .015 patch which loaded easier for me. I did this three times putting balls just under the first one clustered at 5 o'clock, center of the first ball to the center of the furthest one out was 3". Not to bad for the first time out. Ignition seemed quickity quick to me for having no vent liner, I couldn't be any happier about how fast it shot. After the 4 shots I put it down and proceeded to shoot a 3/4" three shot group 3" higher than point of aim with my .36 (I had filed the rear sight down quite a bit from the last outing). I then took my three shots for the postal shoot using the .36 and once done, went back to the smoothie. I spent the time shooting the .36 thinking about my sight picture and figured I need to lift up the muzzle a tad, see more of it than just having a flat plane from breech to muzzle. I broke the black with two shots, pretty much where I was aiming and the third was just low in the white, all three in a 2" group. That was a good way to leave it. I think I definitely want to try and get a handful of .595's to use with a thicker patch and see where they print. But every shot I took today with it would have given a deer a serious problem. :thumbsup:

All in all it was a fun morning and Uncle danced with "Sue" again at 50 yards. :thumbsup:
http://www.nimrodsplace.com/video/62smoothiefirstshot7711a.wmv
http://www.nimrodsplace.com/video/62smoothiefirstshot7711b.wmv

Last edited by a moderator:
Always a pleasure when a gun shoots well right out of the box, isn't it?

The video makes ignition seem very quick, indeed. Touch holes? We don't need no steenking touch holes!

Spence

Did you really think that you would have to bend the barrel of a gun that Mike Brooks built? If so, you may just as well buy an Indian gun! :stir:

Not intended as a slur on Mike by any means...he's just so passionate about what he does and what he believes. I can't believe that a custom built gun by a reputable builder would have to be tweaked so!

As good as he is, he didn't make the barrel and I hear tell a few have had to go through this procedure...I'm just damn glad I didn't have to!

Sounds like shes a shooter to me. Ignition sounds very fast, fast enough that my next will have the inside cone. So thanks Swampy I enjoyed and learned from the video an Im glad you dont have to barrel bend. :hatsoff:

I should note too that I'm very pleased with this Davis Colonial American lock. It's a snappy little lock and appears to be easy on flints, the original flint Mike sent it with is still very sharp and it fired every time today. :thumbsup:

Hey swampy how would you of bent the barrel if you had to. What do you do hold it and let someone stand on it..or do you use the dreaded hammer method...
cool_shades.gif

RC is sendin me a handful of .595's to try. Can't wait to get back and shoot it again now. :haha:

Curious now, would I expect a smaller ball to print higher on the target now? I'm hoping that would be the case as it's just lower than I'd like it to be now with the .600's. :hmm:

bowkill said:
Hey swampy how would you of bent the barrel if you had to. What do you do hold it and let someone stand on it..or do you use the dreaded hammer method...
cool_shades.gif

There is a great historical account of a soldier watching Native Americans use a forked tree to regulate a barrel - shooting in between tweaks.

Probably the best method is to remove the barrel, set it on a solid workbench with a small wood block under each end and use a Jorgensen Clamp or similar to apply pressure to squeeze it in between the blocks. I have never tried this and the thought of bending a barrel gives me the whillies. I've been lucky so far in that mine go where they are pointed out to 50 yards.

Your Brookson looks great and I am glad it is shooting well for you. Is this the barrel that Lowell Tennyson jug choked for you? Be sure and let us know how it patterns with your turkey loads.
Have fun :thumbsup:

Yep, I figured I'd see if it was throwing a ball somewhat straight and work on a ball load before messing around with shot loads.

Swampy said:
RC is sendin me a handful of .595's to try. Can't wait to get back and shoot it again now. :haha:

Curious now, would I expect a smaller ball to print higher on the target now? I'm hoping that would be the case as it's just lower than I'd like it to be now with the .600's. :hmm:

they got put in the mail friday morn..gotta be there monday! good luck!

Back