• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tent Poles of Square Tubing

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandhiler

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Has anyone made tent poles of square metal tubing? It seems they would be about as authentic as 2x2's or 2x4's. Thanks for your help.
Sandhiler

I think suggesting that metal tubing is "about as authentic as 2x2's" might be stretching it a bit. At least they used wood back then for poles, not metal tubing.

Altough they would be fun in a lightening storm. :shocked2:

I don't know about the square tubing, but I'll bet a few travelers back then had iron pegs in their shelter roll.

Back many many moons ago I used black pipe for the center pole of my one pole. I figured if Lewis and Clark could use an iron framed boat I could get by with an iron tent pole.Then one year at the Bean shoot they had a real bad lightning storm and my youngest boy said: "Should we be sitting here with a lightning rod for a center pole?" So I took the kids advice and cut a center pole of dogwood and I have been using it ever since.Lightning rod tent poles are not a good idea!

Bob Gular said:
I don't know about the square tubing, but I'll bet a few travelers back then had iron pegs in their shelter roll.

Iron pegs absolutely, but iron poles? Doubtful.

It's pretty easy to carry canvas and cut a few saplings when you make camp. It's quite different to carry iron poles when traveling.

Of course, if we're talking about a semi-permanent camp in your back yard, it hardly matters. :wink:

Saplings cut to pole length are cheap and authentic & don't require paint to prevent rust. Also they don't go clang when dropped & as others have suggested, are not lightning rods.

Personally I consider 2x2s & 2x4s a little bit lazy - quick & easy to get but obviously a modern piece of lumber. See saplings above or if you like elegant, dress 2x2s or 4x4s (cut down to 3x3) into octagon sectioned poles.

Old Village offers a number of historic paint colors if you are so inclined.......

Latest posts

Back