• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Teflon patches?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frank Briggs

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I've seen teflon patches discussed here in several different threads.

It's always about acuracy and target shooting.

Sounds interesting...

So I started searching around for a source of these patches to experiment with.

I can't find any mention of them anywhere.

Can somebody fill me in on these?

Store bought and pre-cut?

Are we making them out of something else?

Is it a thin sheet of plastic, or is it fabric with teflon woven in?

Where can I buy and how much $$$?

Is it worth the effort in my renegade, or would it only help in a super acurate target rifle?

Inquiring minds want to know!

I started using Teflon patches in my .54 roundball flint target rifle about 10 months ago following the advice of a friend on the USIMLT who has been using them for some time. I have noticed a definate improvement in my accuracy.....much more consistency shot to shot. I bought mine by the yard, I don't think it is availble pre-cut. It is a white colored fabric with a green teflon material on the one side, when loading the teflon side is in contact with the bore & the plain side to the ball. To my knowledge it is only available from the one source, who's name escapes me, but they usually run an advertisement in the Classified section of Muzzle Blasts magazine. I bought 3 yards & it was more expensive than buying pillow ticking but, at least in my rifle, I think the extra money is well spent. Give it a try!

Here one source for Teflon patch material ...

JERRY's ARCHERY & THE MINUTEMEN
7785 Hoy Road
Fredricksburg, OH 44627

1 330 695 2910

Davy

50 cal Frank said:
I've seen teflon patches discussed here in several different threads.

It's always about acuracy and target shooting.

Sounds interesting...

So I started searching around for a source of these patches to experiment with.

I can't find any mention of them anywhere.

Can somebody fill me in on these?

Store bought and pre-cut?

Are we making them out of something else?

Is it a thin sheet of plastic, or is it fabric with teflon woven in?

Where can I buy and how much $$$?

Is it worth the effort in my renegade, or would it only help in a super acurate target rifle?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Why

the

one

sentence

paragraphs?

Huh?

I do that for several reasons.

One, I try to keep my statements and/or questions as brief and to the point as possible. I have the ability to turn any simple statement into a bible sized piece of literature and most internet folks don't seem to apreciate that.

Two, I find that an extra space or three makes my postings easier on the eyes. I suspect that some of you are like me and find reading text from the screen challenging at times.

Three, I'm not an english teacher and this is not a test.

And finally, Four-I payed cash money for this computer and I'll type on it any way I want to! :blah:

arquebus said:
Thanks Davy, that is the same company I bought my teflon patching from, I just found the receipt!

It is my understanding that he has the teflon coated material himself, or he will coat your preferred cloth if you send it to him, for a fee.

John Hinnant could tell you more about it, but he's currently at Brady at the Texas Championship shoot showing them how its done. :shocked2: :rotf:

Davy

Good Morning 50 Cal Frank,

I have used the Teflon coated patching material for 25 - 30 years for both hunting and target work. It is an excellant choice for both.

Being a dry lub, it does not moisten your powder during a day (or more) of hunting. Unlike a spit patch or water base lube it does not cause a rust ring to form in your barrel if left loaded for a day or more.

Teflon coated patching material will also you to load a tighter fitting ball and still load easy. As to wheter or not, accuracy is improved has more to do with the proper ball/patch combination.

I just spent October 5 - 8, 2006 at the TMLRA Fall Shoot. Half way through the matches, I discovered my ammo box of Teflon coated patching did get loaded. It was necessary to fall back on my old standby, Young Country 103 lube.

This lube shot just as well as the Teflon and loaded almost as easy. The 103 lubed patchs are used when I start work with a new barrel until I discover what patch thickness will be best. The Teflon is a bit to expensive to experiment with.

My wife says I am just a cheap skate.

It has been my experience that when the proper patch thickness is determined, the type of lube does not affect accuracy.

Best regards and good shooting,

John L. Hinnant

If you are not an NRA or NMLRA Member, why not? I am carrying your load.

Good Afternoon SS1,

Had a great time. Weather was not too warm: nights were great, and won a few prizes.

Thanks for asking.

John L. Hinnant

Good Afternoon SS1,

Cannot believe I left out the best part of the Shoot; sharing good times with old and new friends.

All else is in second place.

John L. Hinnant

I think I've tried just about every type of Teflon patching available, and in my opinion, the best, bar none, is Wayne Lamson's "Tough Ass Patch". It mike's in at .022" and is impossible to blow. I now use it exclusively. You can buy it directly from Wayne at 404 S.Ross St., Beaverton, MI, 48612. He can be reached at (989) 435-9190.By the way, he only sells by the yard. Good luck.

Back