• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Teflon coated patches .

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeC

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Just exactly what is the teflon coating supposed to do for the patches?
I am having trouble with burn-thru on the patches for
my 4-bore , have tried a bunch of things , different lubes , felt wads over powder . etc. someone suggested i
try the teflon coated ticking for making my patches.
Thanks Joe

You do NOT use any lube with teflon patches. I doubt they will cure what ails your gun.

Read about teflon patches a year or so ago. Mixed reviews about them. Some liked them, others didn't, worried about teflon buildup in the barrel. I have never tried them, so I cannot offer a personal opinion.

Have you tryed lapping or fire lapping that 4 bore. I started cutting patcges in me 54 my oldest gun must have had acouple thousand rounds thru it and mybe a little neglet fire lapped it aint cuttin patches any more. never tried that there teflon stuff. :m2c:

Here is an address and number for one supplier in Muzzleblast for teflon ticking.
THE MINUTE-MEN
7785 Hoy RD.
Fredricksburg, OH. 44627
Ph. 330 695 2910
A number of people at my club use it and swear by it. the ticking is expensive $15 a yard plus shipping but if it works go for it. Hope it helps :peace:

sir henry .
I tried the scotch brite method of lapping the barrel .
i don't know if it really helped any . I think that it is
burning the patches , and not cutting them .
When i started shooting the gun , the patches were kind of disintegrating . I bought some fiber wads from Circle Fly . and that pretty much stopped the wads from disintegrating , but i am still gettin some burn thru .
His wads are made for a 4-bore shotgun with a 1.052" bore diameter , my gun has the 1.052" bore ,but the groove diameter is closer to 1.072-80" diameter, so these wads are
a little under size .
That is why i was asking about the teflon coating , does
it help in preventing "burn thru " Even the patches that have some burn thru still shoot in the same group (usually 2- 2 1/2"at 50 yds)so i am not going to go nuts over the problem . (that might not sound like a "braggin group"
but it takes some concentration to send 1700gr balls with
250-300 grs 2f behind them downrange )
thanks Joe

Joe - Tell us about your four bore! Flint or percussion? Who made your barrels? Did you build it yourself. Got pictures? What is your calculated ME? What have you hunted with it? What is your "light" target load? :) It's rifled right? Thanks, GC

Gun cobbler .
I built it myself December last year . Used it for the
regular rifle deer season here in Pa. Shot a doe with it
on the first day of the season .
I built the gun myself , (it shows ha ! ha ! ) It is kind of a mutant. It is based on an English Sporting rifle ,because i think that stock design works very well with heavy recoiling rifles , but it is a flintlock so that i can hunt with it here in the Pa. muzzleloader season. The two other rifles i built are also heavy kickers (also flintlocks) . a 7 1/2lb. Fullstock English rifle in .62 cal
shooting 200gr 2f 340 gr ball, at 1800fps. The other is a half stock English Gun (9 1/4 lbs ) .72 cal. 260 gr.2f 510 gr ball. 1750 fps.
I got the barrel from Ed Rayl in West Virginia . It is rifled , 30" barrel , soon to be cut back to 26" or so, too muzzle heavy for me . That would take a bit over a pound of of the muzzle. Muzzle energy (you just made me look it up)
is about 3800-4000 with my 250 gr load. bump it up to the
400 gr load it jumps up to close to 6000 lbs. The Taylor
Knock Out Value is real crazy . It goes from 250 with the 250 gr load , up to 320 with the 400 gr load. ( a 50 cal at 1800 fps is 23, a 58 cal at 1800 fps is 42 )
No , i dont have any pictures of it .i do have a digital camera , just have to learn how to use it . I will let you
know if i ever get any pitures of it . It is definately impressive to look at . My 54 cal, Green Mountain barrel for my T.C . Hawkin . will fit down inside this one.....
Recoil is not too bad with my 200 gr practice load , a little less than my 460 Wtby .On one of the recoil calculator programs it comes out to about 90 ft lb. the 460 comes out about 105 ft lb. ( a 458 Win mag is about 60 ftlb)
If you go to the Builders Bench page and go about 1/2 way down the page there is a topic titled "100 caliber"
There is some more info on that page about my gun .
If you have any more questions , don't be afraid to ask.
Joe

Recoil is not too bad with my 200 gr practice load , a little less than my 460 Wtby .On one of the recoil calculator programs it comes out to about 90 ft lb. the 460 comes out about 105 ft lb. ( a 458 Win mag is about 60 ftlb)

Not to bad!? :eek: Wow, I don't want to shoot a gun that you consider to have heavy recoil. :haha:

Keith ,
The 400 gr load really gets your attention.............
If you can believe the recoil calculations , it comes out to 180 ft lbs. (thats over 10 times the calculated recoil
for a 50 cal. at 1800fps . in a 9 lb gun )
One of my buddies shot it with 460 gr . 2f . He did a little bit of a backpeddle ............
Joe.

Hi Joe - Ed is making a 12 gage round ball barrel for me. I'm making a very modern inline with it. Thanks for all the details of your 4 bore. Would love to see pictures of it. GC

Back