• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC New Englander with blocked and frozen nipple.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob K

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Recently picked up a NE’er that was in storage for many years. Little bit of rust in the barrel but rifling looks good. Here’s an issue that has me puzzled. The barrel is clear, nothing left inside. However, the nipple is plugged and frozen in place. It’s a stainless nipple so I can’t figure why I can’t break it loose. Also, can not get a nipple wire thru it. Currently letting penetration oil to do its job (I hope). As a backup, any suggestions in getting the nipple out if oil does not work?

I had the same problem last year with a rusted Hawken, first make sure it's not loaded, next heat up the nipple with a propane torch, and keep tapping on the nipple with a small metal hammer, the vibration should loosen it, it worked for me good luck

You can gently heat the area around it with a heat gun then cold shock the nipple itself with a product called "freeze-off" (or canned air duster held upside down). Sometimes that will contract the male threads faster than the female threads and break the bond.

I have had success with the impact method suggested by @ffg. After letting the penetrating oil do its job, Try tapping a sturdy nipple wrench while turning to loosen the nipple. Sometimes tapping the nipple to tighten it before using the impact method to loosen the nipple breaks the threads loose.

I have a small impact tool that has been very effective in removing stuck nipples. I did have to make a nipple wrench tip from a 5mm 1/4" hex socket. Sadly, Harbor Freight no longer lists that tool.

Impact Tool.JPG

I had the same problem last year with a rusted Hawken, first make sure it's not loaded, next heat up the nipple with a propane torch, and keep tapping on the nipple with a small metal hammer, the vibration should loosen it, it worked for me good luck
Worked like a champ, thanks!

Back