• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC New Englander shotgun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barnabus

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Just bought a TC New Englander 12 gauge cylinder choke smoothie.I want to hunt squirrels with it and maybe dove.What kind of yardage can i get out of this choke and whats a good place to start with loads.thanks

IME #6 shot works well in most ML shotguns .In my 12 ga I use 75 gr 2f,A felt overshot wad cut out of old hats from the goodwill store and lubed with bore butter,1 1\2 oz of whatever size shot you are using and a thin( 1\8" or so) cardboard overshot wad smeared with a little bore butter. That load works for me out to about 30 yards on clay birds,real birds etc.There are as many ways to load a ML shotgun as there are shotguns but that one will work for you as a starter.

k50 said:
...about 30 yards....

Same here with CYL bore 12 gauges and 1 1/8 oz loads and wingshooting ptarmigan. I tried heavier loads, but patterns were actually worse and range lessened for some reason.

I probably shoot more 7/8 oz or 1 oz loads than the 1 1/8 at snowshoe hare, where ranges are generally limited to less than 25 yards due to brush. On longer shots those loads sure seem to perform as well as the heavier, but I never patterned the light ones.

if you use one of those adjustable powder/shot measures, use the same settin' for shot as ya used for powder.

When I patterned my cylinder bore New Englander for turkey hunting, I kinda cheated and used a plastic shot cup. I was good to about 25 yards for a turkey, probably a bit more on wing shooting smaller birds. Mine patterned best with 80gr. 2F (I never tried 3F) and about 1 1/4oz (measured by volume with a shot measure) of #4 shot, which is just very lightly more shot than powder according to my volume measures. It actually shot the #4 lead into a denser pattern than #6's, despite there being a lot less shot in the load. That surprised me.

I also have a New Englander. I have found 6 works for birds, like dove and chucker. 5 or 4 for squirrel and pheasant. 30 to 35 yds max no matter what choke you select. This is using the square load. 40 yds and beyond you are just making smoke, lucky to even bring down a dove.

I also have a 12 ga New Englander cylinder bore. My load is 80 gr FF OP wad, 1/2 of a fiber cushion wad, equal volume of # 5 shot, and OS card. OP and OS cards are made from Beer Coasters. Everybody laughs at me but it works quite well and cheap too. :grin:

I have one in cylinder, and decided I just had to have one with screw in chokes. I found the barrel and paid a small fortune for it. I ended up liking the cylinder bore better.

For turkey I took apart a Hevi-shot Triple Beard shell (the shot is a mix of 4-5-6 size shot) and loaded the wad/shot cup and shot load over 90 FFG powder with a circle fly felt wad as an over shot card. I took a bird with it, but I called it in so close I could have thrown a rock and killed it. Hard to know what the max. range would have been, but on paper it looked good at 30 yards.

Back