• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC New Englander 12g ??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kentuckywindage

62 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone know where i can get a 12g single shot barrel for a tc new englander? I'm looking at a trade and this seems like it would make a nice shot gun. Currently has a .54cal barrel on it.
Any idea what a 12g barrel runs price wise?

Those are very light weight shotguns, and will rattle your teach with some of the commercial loads. In Black Powder, its a different story. The only way to shoot a 12 ga. shell in one is with one of the company's 10 gauge barrels that is bored for the 12 ga. The extra metal leaves enough weight to help control the recoil.

In black powder, the shape of the stock is going to determine how much you put in it. A 12 gauge single barrel can get pretty brutal awfully fast, when you start raising the powder charges and shot loads. That is one gun where using an equal amount of powder and shot, by volume makes a lot of sense.

I was mainly wanting it for Grouse, rabbits and squirrels. I dont think the load for those 3 would have to be to hot.
Where can i buy one of these barrels? Would prefer a cva trapper 12g, but i cant find any.

Try some of the on-line auctions like auctionarms or gunbroker. These muzzleloading barrels show up from time to time. Also, you could check the for sale ads on this forum. Good luck. The gun should weigh in around seven pounds as a 12 bore so it won't be too bad to carry afield and 1 1/4 ounce loads should be manageable.

Google Kittery Trading Post. They are an outfit in Maine that carries a lot of used guns and barrels. They have a used gun search and I remember seeing different barrels for sale there.

paulvallandigham said:
Those are very light weight shotguns, and will rattle your teach with some of the commercial loads. In Black Powder, its a different story. The only way to shoot a 12 ga. shell in one is with one of the company's 10 gauge barrels that is bored for the 12 ga. The extra metal leaves enough weight to help control the recoil.

I believe Paul is thinking the New Englander breechloading shotgun and not T/C's New Englander muzzleloader. Never was a 10 ga T/C New Englander.

HPIM0377.jpg

My N/E is plenty beefy to be fun to shoot with 12 gauge loads. Check the classified adds here, the Fox Ridge website (T/C's custom shop) and occasionally they show up on[url] gunbroker.com[/url] and ebaY.

Price wise, I've seen them lately around $150 or a bit higher (which is a crime as I paid $180 for the kit as I recall). Mine is the cylinder bore and later versions have a screw-choke.

My cylinder bore has the added attraction of throwing a 12 ga (.690) patched round ball well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kentuckywindage said:
Would prefer a cva trapper 12g, but i cant find any.
I've had several offers to buy my trapper. I've killed many gray squirrel,rabbit,dove and a few grouse with 7/8oz of shot same measure of 2f or porodex rs and traditional wads with full choke tube. With a plastic shotcup and 1-1/4oz shot and full choke I can hammer a turkey at 35 yards but it's a pain to load. watch gun broker and auctionarms once in a while you will see a trapper
Roy

YOu are correct. I was thinking of the New England shotgun, rather than the T/C New Englander. MY mistake. Thanks for catching it.

You can buy a new one from Fox Ridge and they run around $180. You sometimes see them on the gun auctions too. I have a .50 cal and a .12 ga that i picked up with a Rynite stock, and i just made a deal with a guy for a .54 cal with a wood stock. They are a real nice hunting gun. I have taken grouse and turkey with the .12 so far. For some reason my .12 does better with 3f powder. I use 70 grs of powder, 4 thin overshot cards,
1 1/4 oz of copper plated #6 shot for turkey with the full choke tube and the same load for grouse with the Imp cyl tube.

T/C's Black Mountain Magnum 12 ga barrel also fits the New Englander stock. Mine's a 50 cal., but I believe the stock is the same for the 54 cal.

Back