• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC Hawken Tang

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Tang fits stock really well but when barrel is inserted I have to mash barrel and stock together. Can the tang be bent a little to relieve pressure between stock and barrel?

Most likely you need to do some relief inletting near the breech area on the stock. I am assuming its binding up there when your trying to insert breech into the tang and push the barrel down into stock. Usually the stock in breech area wood is to high as the breech needs to pivot down and into place. Try some inletting black or candle soot, chalk, lipstick whatever you have available and mark it and see if its hitting - if so remove wood.

Most likely it's been refinished and in the process all the hot-melt glue TC used for 'tolerances' has been removed allowing the tang to drop farther down. Loosen the tang screws, insert the barrel, snug screws & see what ya got. If this works, remove the tang & bed it with some epoxy or J-B weld.

Tang fits stock really well but when barrel is inserted I have to mash barrel and stock together.
You need to correct having to ‘mash the barrel and stock together’ as this will stress and eventually crack the stock, likely through lock and wrist area.

An easy way to understand what you are dealing with is to remove the barrel and tang from the stock, then using CA/cyanoacrylate glue, attach the tang to the barrel so it is a one piece assembly. After the glue has cured, carefully place the barrel and tang assembly in the stock, making sure the barrel is seated. It should be obvious what needs to be done. The end of the tang will be proud of the wood, showing you how much you have to bend the tang, and if not, how proud the tang would be of the wood if you decided to bed the tang.

Last edited:
I seated the barrel and tang into stock and rear of tang needs to go down about the thickness of tang. Just how do I bend rear of tang?

I seated the barrel and tang into stock and rear of tang needs to go down about the thickness of tang. Just how do I bend rear of tang?
I just place the tang in a soft jaw vise and use barrel as a lever/cheater bar to bend the tang. Doesn’t take much force to get results, so suggest you go slow and easy if you go this route. Get overly aggressive bending the tang back and forth, and at some point it will fracture if you don’t anneal it.

Back