• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC Hawken .54

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a line on a TC .54 cal. The guy that told me about it is a gunsmith, he tells me it's in near mint comes with balls and powder flasks and some other stuff. The guy wants 250$ for the whole setup, I'm thinking about checking it but I'm wondering if it would be suitable for bigger game like elk or moose.
What are your experiences with a .54 calibre?

Morb said:
I'm wondering if it would be suitable for bigger game like elk or moose.
What are your experiences with a .54 calibre?
My experiences with the .54cal, including the T/C Hawken, is limited to North Carolina whitetails and it's an excellent caliber for them. My personal 'opinion' however, is that given a choice I would reach for a .58cal / .62cal if I was going Elk or Moose hunting.

And yes, I know, whitetails have been taken with a .22cal rifle...but that doesn't make the .22 a "deer gun". Personal approach is matching big game calibers to big game..."would rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it".

Others mileage may vary...

The .54 is more than adequate for elk and moose if you keep the range to under 75 yds. A .54 using conical bullets packs quite a punch, and leaves a big hole. Even the round ball is deadly, but might be alittle light on elk and moose unless the range is kept short.(under 50 yds.) Of course its all about shot placement. A .54 ball in the boiler room will drop any elk or moose.
Thompson Center guns generally come with barrels that are 1:48 twist. This is a compromise twist that will handle round balls quite well if the velocity is kept down. Conicals generally shoot very well in these guns. You will have to experiment to see what shoots the best for your type of hunting.

Fyrstyk

if the gun is as said it sounds like a very good deal. and like others have said it will work if you make the shot where it counts.

I ain't got a clue about shooting Elk or Moose, but I would imagine that a lot of Elk and Buffalo fell to the 45-70 and 54 J&S Hawkens.

My experience with elk and moose is 2 of each. In my limited exposure there is a big difference between the two. The moose both just stood and bellowed until they fell over while the elk took off and expired 70-120 yards away. All 4 died, all 4 had lethal heart/lung shots, they just acted differently.

I'd want to punch a real big hole all the way through an elk to give me a good blood trail to follow.

A .54 with PRB has been our standard choice in our elk camps for years. If we come home empty handed, it's never cause of the rifle :haha:

Our loads have ranged fro 80 to 120 grains of goex ff, with the 80 doing the job as well as the hotter loads. It will be adequate to any distances that YOU are accurate.

Thanks for the info everyone.
I'm going to make arrangements to see this gun and if it's as clean as I was told I think I'll take the plunge. I have a .45 TC Hawken that I have taken deer with. I love that gun I use it more than my smokeless rifles now. I was thinking that if this .54 is adequate for the big guys I probably wouldn't use the modern rifles much at all.
I like bear hunting with my bow but I would like to take one with a muzzle loader, I'm guessing if a .54 is good for elk then it should be good for black bear as well then?

Yes, a .54 with a round ball is certainly adequate for both elk and bear, the bear being the easier of the two.

Marmotslayer pretty much told it like it is.

One concern you should have is if the barrel has a bulge. If a projectile was short started and never seated on the powder. Run a tight oiled patch slowly thru bore for a smooth feel.

Don't know how it will effect elk or moose, but commenting because I made the identical purchase last summer. Didn't get to make meat with it yet, but can't imagine a 54 cal 300+ grain projectile that won't take either animal at open-sight ranges.
Just by way of asking, which projectiles are you getting with this rifle? I got several boxes of Maxi-hunters. Assuming you complete the purchase, will you give us a range report?

When I was deciding on whether to get a .50 vs a .54 back in the mid 80s I bought a copy of the first edition of the NMLRA record book...The top scoring grizzly was killed with a .54 ball and 120grs FF powder...

I figured a .54 would do...

I beleive the gunsmith said it comes with round balls, not sure how many and for some reason I thought he said there was some conicals.
He talked to the guy and he's going to bring the rifle to town in a couple weeks, sounds like it's a commission deal. Looks like I'm going have to wait for a bit, I hate waiting just makes me want it more lol. I will give a full report once I get it

a 54 cal. rd ball behind 100 gr to 120 of powder will take any game in north america less the great bears.

Back