• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC Hawken 45 cal. Barrel Rebore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caroll D

32 Cal
Reaction score
I have a early 45 cal. TC Hawken barrel that is like new but has 1 in 48" twist rate that I would like to rebore to 50 cal. with a faster twist rate for target shooting & hunting, does anyone know a "smith" that can do this.

I have a early 45 cal. TC Hawken barrel that is like new but has 1 in 48" twist rate that I would like to rebore to 50 cal. with a faster twist rate for target shooting & hunting, does anyone know a "smith" that can do this.
Bobby Hoyt freishutz shop Fairfield Pa.
Have him look at it..hes top shelf. If it not too bad he could do a recut
SM

Bobby Hoyt freishutz shop Fairfield Pa.
Have him look at it..hes top shelf. If it not too bad he could do a recut
SM
It is a early barrel but it's like new, the bore shines like it has never been shot. It has a spade stamped on the underside with no warning or Hawken stamp and it does not have the QLA muzzle either. It has a serial no. of 33XXX.

Call Bobby early in the day if possible and if no answer leave a message. Typically during the day when he has machines running he will not hear or answer the phone.

Great old school guy to do business with.
Thanks for the information I'll try and call him early, thanks.

It is a early barrel but it's like new, the bore shines like it has never been shot. It has a spade stamped on the underside with no warning or Hawken stamp and it does not have the QLA muzzle either. It has a serial no. of 33XXX.
I know that you want a different caliber, but you might be wise to wait a second before using that barrel. Just my opinion, but every T/C that I have had that had the Spade stamp on the barrel shot extremely accurately. I don't want to start another ten page thread on the various stamps on T/C barrels and who made what, but an unfired .45 Spade stamped barrel....oh my.
I would look for another T/C barrel with a little rust or pitting for the rebore job.

I agree with @dragnetbill. You have a barrel that will likely be very accurate for target use. The 1 in 48 twist barrel can handle the solid base conical bullets quite fine for hunting, especially the lighter weight Lee REAL bullets. Before you alter your barrel, try it on target. Hunting performance is also likely to be satisfactory.

The spade stamped barrels are highly regarded. Only change that Bartell if it is in such bad shape that reboring is the only option.

Last edited:
I know that you want a different caliber, but you might be wise to wait a second before using that barrel. Just my opinion, but every T/C that I have had that had the Spade stamp on the barrel shot extremely accurately. I don't want to start another ten page thread on the various stamps on T/C barrels and who made what, but an unfired .45 Spade stamped barrel....oh my.
I would look for another T/C barrel with a little rust or pitting for the rebore job.
I was so busy today at work I forgot to call Mr. Hoyt and just read your post, I can't be sure that it has never been shot but it looks brand new when I shine a light down the bore, I bought it as new old stock with the original box. I haven't shot it yet because I don't have any 45 cal. balls or conical bullets and this cal. seems to have fallen out of popularity and supplies are harder to find. But after reading your response I will wait and see how it shoots, thanks.

I agree with @dragnetbill. You have a barrel that will likely be very accurate for target use. The 1 in 48 twist barrel can handle the solid base conical bullets quite fine for hunting, especially the lighter weight Lee REAL bullets. Before you alter your barrel, try it on target. Hunting performance is also likely to be satisfactory.

The spade stamped barrels are highly regarded. Only change that Bartell if it is in such bad shape that reboring is the only option.
Can you give me a source for these bullets I would like to try them, is there any chance of leading the barrel with these bullets?

I cast my own bullets, but I don't have any cast up nor do I have a 45 Cal Lee REAL mold. I have always used patched round ball in my 45 caliber rifle. I did use conical bullets in my T/C Hawken 50 caliber.

I used my search function to search for "Lee REAL cast bullets for sale" and several vendors came up, but none had Lee REAL bullets.

Use a good lubricant such as BEE's wax and tallow or olive oil, SPG or similar and leading should be minimal.

Last edited:
I was so busy today at work I forgot to call Mr. Hoyt and just read your post, I can't be sure that it has never been shot but it looks brand new when I shine a light down the bore, I bought it as new old stock with the original box. I haven't shot it yet because I don't have any 45 cal. balls or conical bullets and this cal. seems to have fallen out of popularity and supplies are harder to find. But after reading your response I will wait and see how it shoots, thanks.
I feel better now; kinda like maybe saving a life. It shouldn't be too hard for you to find some .440 round balls; try those with some .015-.018 patches and let us know how it shoots. T/C Maxis style bullets can be had from Track of The Wolf. I don't shoot those very much, but run across them occasionally at smaller gun shows and swap meets.

Your .45 is a fine weapon for shooting maxi balls or if you can find them the maxi hunter. Personally and do what you want, but I wouldn’t change a thing about that barrel!! Greg

Latest posts

Back