• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

tc flint and percussion lock interchange

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walks with fire

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a green mountain percussion 54 drop-in barrel that I would like to use as a switch out barrel on my tc flintlock pa hunter. The barrel fits the stock but my question is whether a tc percussion lock would be able to fit without modifying the stock so I could switch back and forth between either barrel on the same stock.

I have never done it but have owned 2 TC flintlocks that had a touch hole in the rear corner of the pan that would indicate that a drum on a percussion barrel may be too far back for a percussion lock to be properly positioned if by chance the touch hole on a flint barrel was in the wrong place. I sent my rifle back to TC, they said they didn't see any problem with the touch hole position.

I have owned a bunch of TC percussion guns and all had a properly positioned drum/lock combination.

I would check around with your friends with TCs to see if one of them would let you fit their TC percussion lock in your stock to see if everything lines up. From the deer drive videos on you tube it appears that lots of folk in PA are still shooting TCs.

Last edited:
Walks with fire,

Here's a pair of TC Hawkens I have, one in flint (50cal) and the other percussion (54cal), both are Green Mountain barrels.

Flint rifle is the top and percussion is the bottom in all pics. It is necessary to remove the barrel in order to remove the percussion lock. The percussion stock is from a kit rifle.

If you zoom in on the mortise pic you may notice some minor differences near the lock screw hole and running horizontal above where the main spring cavity is located.

I was able to insert the percussion lock into the flint stock and vice versa...both sat flush. I didn't try cocking either to find out if there was any obstruction to the mainspring while in the opposite stock.

These aren't PA hunters but I hope this helps!

Blackeagle

IMG_7006.JPG
IMG_7007.JPG
IMG_7008.JPG
IMG_7009.JPG
IMG_7010.JPG

Last edited:
If the TC locks drop into the stock mortise you should be good to go. For what it is worth, I have noticed a little bit of difference in early vs late TC lock plates, but nothing a sharp chisel or knife couldn’t rectify. If you are considering using an L&R lock and swapping back and forth, there will be a little more to consider in my experience.

If the TC locks drop into the stock mortise you should be good to go. For what it is worth, I have noticed a little bit of difference in early vs late TC lock plates, but nothing a sharp chisel or knife couldn’t rectify. If you are considering using an L&R lock and swapping back and forth, there will be a little more to consider in my experience.
Totally agree about the L&R lock. I had to take out quite a bit more wood than their diagram indicated. Darn good lock!

I have never done it but have owned 2 TC flintlocks that had a touch hole in the rear corner of the pan that would indicate that a drum on a percussion barrel may be too far back for a percussion lock to be properly positioned if by chance the touch hole on a flint barrel was in the wrong place. I sent my rifle back to TC, they said they didn't see any problem with the touch hole position.

I have owned a bunch of TC percussion guns and all had a properly positioned drum/lock combination.

I would check around with your friends with TCs to see if one of them would let you fit their TC percussion lock in your stock to see if everything lines up. From the deer drive videos on you tube it appears that lots of folk in PA are still shooting TCs.
TC NEVER used a drum on their sidelocks. Always a bolster on the percussion. There was a company that made a drop in mule ear lock that fit the TC flint mortise. the exchange only required switching a nipple into the touch hole in place of the liner. Don't know if the L&R mule ear will do that.

I have have a renegade, also another nonnamed tc. to change the non-American I had to inlet a bit to get the rod to clear and change the breech plug because it had a snail drum. Bruce

TC NEVER used a drum on their sidelocks. Always a bolster on the percussion. There was a company that made a drop in mule ear lock that fit the TC flint mortise. the exchange only required switching a nipple into the touch hole in place of the liner. Don't know if the L&R mule ear will do that.
I have the Pioneer mule ear lock that you mention in your post. I have renegade flint lock barrels in 45, 50, 54 & 58. I can switch to the percussion mule ear by simply removing the touch hole liner and replacing it with a nipple. Makes for a very versatile gun set.

Latest posts

Back