• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CLOSED Tc Big Bore .58

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Due to the ruination(In my humble opinion) of the stock the one on gunbroker 'might' stay in the almost reasonable price range.

Seen that, yet as uncommon as they are to be for sale…. I’m not holding my Breath on that one.

Neat Rifles to say the least. 26” is a excellent Nimble size for that .58 bore. I’m starting to understand why so many are kept and not for sale.

Looking for a Big Bore- Good bore, even if wood isn’t great…. Can refinish.

Curious if anyone has one they are not using and want to sell.

I just love me some .58
Your best bet is to get a Renegade and have it bored out to 58. It would be cheaper than the typical price for a Big Boar and you get to choose the twist.

I paid $500 for a new (old stock) GM 58cal barrel for my Renegade before I knew about boring them out. Had one bored out to 58cal and am extremely pleased with both. They are a thrill to shoot 70grs of 3F behind a RB! Hope you're search is successful. If not, bore one out!

Its at 500 right now on gunbroker

Yea that one- It started at $500 and I’m sure will get up there in 2 days

As of now…Most Good condition Hawken Or Renegades are around 450/500
The Big Bore seems to be a bit more for various reasons.

Last edited:
I have a TC Big Boar purchased new late ‘96 early ‘97. I was shooting TC maxi balls/mini balls. I planned on using it for a brown bear hunt on Kodiak Island. I ended up buying a Scout .54 cal pistol, also shooting maxi’s and took that instead. I’ve put a few prb’s though it a few years ago, but never found an accurate load combination. Maybe this year now that I have the time.

Threads are no good with out photos, got any?

I have a TC Big Boar purchased new late ‘96 early ‘97. I was shooting TC maxi balls/mini balls. I planned on using it for a brown bear hunt on Kodiak Island. I ended up buying a Scout .54 cal pistol, also shooting maxi’s and took that instead. I’ve put a few prb’s though it a few years ago, but never found an accurate load combination. Maybe this year now that I have the time.

Sorry sir. I’ll see what I can do tomorrow.
Apparently my face has gained some weight since shooting it in ‘97. Pulling it out, I’m thinking about five years ago to shoot it, I felt those 555 grainers against my cheek bone

A Renegade rebore
It’s been said a few post previously.

Yet then you would need to have the Bore ReCut and…… the barrel shortened to 26” for it to be “Just like” a Big bore.
Re set a dovetail in front.

So a good condition Renegade runs $450 or more…. Then A smith will cost ya about $150or more… Now into the $600+ range.

Viable option- Yet not far off Prices of Big Bores.

Plus, am I not mistaken- a Shortened rifle barrel loses not only it’s crown…. Yet the slight Taper diameter inside the bore at muzzle?

Insignificant in accuracy out to 80yards… Tho I’d rather just get a Big Bore if in good condition.

Plus, am I not mistaken- a Shortened rifle barrel loses not only it’s crown…. Yet the slight Taper diameter inside the bore at muzzle?
I believe you are mistaken. If there was a slight taper inside the bore at the muzzle you likely would not be able to shoot conicals, as they would become undersized in the bore once past the muzzle and not stay on the powder because of being undersized. Had a barrel replaced by a manufacturer for that exact defect.

I’m certainly young enough to know when to listen to those that know better.
However- a Good condition Renagade or Hawken in 85% or better in most any market is around $400. Chopping length shorter,reset dovetail,Rebore… $150?
So if $550 is a middle of the road price for a modified .58 “Bling Bore” . That isn’t bad.

We all know, Resale value is in the back of the mind when making a purchase . So what would be worth more?

Glad to receive the insight, Thank you

Last edited:
So a good condition Renegade runs $450 or more…. Then A smith will cost ya about $150or more… Now into the $600+ range.
I have had over half a dozen barrels rebored over the years. All had bores that were basically rusted sewer pipes that I was able to pick at very good prices. My rule of thumb is current value for pristine barrel, less cost of rebore, less $25 - $50 for my time. Or I don’t need the barrel/gun.

Here is a photograph (after an EvapoRust soak) of a bore someone purchased off Gun Broker (no returns allowed). Description of bore was ‘minor pitting, should be a good shooter’. Good candidate for a rebore if not used in the garden.
1641267460671.jpeg

Pay attention and you will find rebore donors for a lot less than you are estimating. If your mind is made up (almost sounds like it is) to get a Big Boar, get it and enjoy it. As previously mentioned, they are not always the best shooters (QLA and trigger), but currently demand a premium because of ‘collectibility’. Personally, I don’t see the extra value in collecting a non HC or non PC reproduction firearm, though I have been wrong before. I currently have two TC Renegade barrels rebored to 58 caliber with 1-60 radius rifling, one each in flint and percussion. Love them for hunting. I also have a collection of TC barrels (none of which are for sale) for future projects or use in the garden. Most in this photograph need a rebore, and a couple are candidates for refreshing.
1641268469004.jpeg
Good luck in your search.

A Renegade rebore

Yet then you would need to have the Bore ReCut and…… the barrel shortened to 26” for it to be “Just like” a Big bore.

Insignificant in accuracy out to 80yards… Tho I’d rather just get a Big Bore if in good condition.
The standard barrel length on a Renegade is also 26". I would not be surprised if the mkt wizards at Thompson came up with the idea of a "Big Boar" by just boring out a standard Renegade and stamping "Big Boar" on the barrel. Easy to make and you can charge extra for it. SDSmif is right on prices, a lot of Renegades on Gunbroker sell for under $400 (or even less if the bore isn't great). But if you want the barrel to say "Big Boar" on it then nothing else will do.

A Renegade rebore

They never enjoy the reading of post..LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back