• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CLOSED Tc Big Bore .58

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m a bit new to the world on Muzzleloaders. For past 20 years I’ve been on CF weapons. With occasional interest of in lines. Some of this is second nature to most on this site-
I’m open minded and glad to learn, I appreciate the positive comments and explanations. One thing I feel accomplished about is successfully finding a Load (2 actually) that drill bullseyes at 50 yards with my .58 double rifle to same POI. Almost the same at 80 yards, All offhand shooting with a Stick for support.

Them big Bullets/PRBs are impressive in my 58s. The 1:48 Twist work well for me.

I was just seeking the same “Factory” Twist rate and Bore size in a smaller lighter weight Rifle….. To do the same.

That’s why I’m seeking a Big Bore model.

Yet a Renegade rebored may be a simple approach to a difficult rifle to find

Thank you gents. Learned a few things

Attachments

• 7744B1E1-C80A-46F0-ABA7-35CCD774B6E0.png
    7744B1E1-C80A-46F0-ABA7-35CCD774B6E0.png
    571.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 273E341C-462E-4553-BA36-42C2C494E059.png
    273E341C-462E-4553-BA36-42C2C494E059.png
    217.9 KB · Views: 49
  • 6669FAE2-9C06-491A-BD7F-611A36614BA6.png
    6669FAE2-9C06-491A-BD7F-611A36614BA6.png
    608.4 KB · Views: 47
I’m a bit new to the world on Muzzleloaders. For past 20 years I’ve been on CF weapons. With occasional interest of in lines. Some of this is second nature to most on this site-
I’m open minded and glad to learn, I appreciate the positive comments and explanations. One thing I feel accomplished about is successfully finding a Load (2 actually) that drill bullseyes at 50 yards with my .58 double rifle to same POI. Almost the same at 80 yards, All offhand shooting with a Stick for support.

Them big Bullets/PRBs are impressive in my 58s. The 1:48 Twist work well for me.

I was just seeking the same “Factory” Twist rate and Bore size in a smaller lighter weight Rifle….. To do the same.

That’s why I’m seeking a Big Bore model.

Yet a Renegade rebored may be a simple approach to a difficult rifle to find

Thank you gents. Learned a few things
I love mine, albeit, I did not shoot the REALs good unless I used max loads of Schuetzen FFg, then , I kicked like a mad mule! But the RBs were better, about 1.5inches at 50yds off a log! Benched might do better. The trigger sucks but I do not have the expertise to mess with it…. And is very front heavy. The .575 RB shot better than the factory Hornady .570 with same .010 pillow thicking. Now, every one here has different opinion but if you really want one, don’t look hard at the price because like I always say, they ain’t making them anymore and are NOT getting cheaper. I will buy a Renegade and rebore in a heartbeat but I don’t believe there is anyone out there that will restamp the bbl with the proper caliber. Some times you save money by paying more for the original. Prices are prices, but in you decide to rebore the cost of shipping, insurance, time and such, you end up breaking even, with a rebore. My two shillings!

Attachments

• 3E52F307-83A4-4245-9894-E328BADB09BF.jpeg
    3E52F307-83A4-4245-9894-E328BADB09BF.jpeg
    84.7 KB · Views: 42
I agree with your opinion.

I need to ask, I see yellow lettering on your Big Bore. That’s new to me- never seen that. Did you do that?

^^^
I love mine, albeit, I did not shoot the REALs good unless I used max loads of Schuetzen FFg, then , I kicked like a mad mule! But the RBs were better, about 1.5inches at 50yds off a log! Benched might do better. The trigger sucks but I do not have the expertise to mess with it…. And is very front heavy. The .575 RB shot better than the factory Hornady .570 with same .010 pillow thicking. Now, every one here has different opinion but if you really want one, don’t look hard at the price because like I always say, they ain’t making them anymore and are NOT getting cheaper. I will buy a Renegade and rebore in a heartbeat but I don’t believe there is anyone out there that will restamp the bbl with the proper caliber. Some times you save money by paying more for the original. Prices are prices, but in you decide to rebore the cost of shipping, insurance, time and such, you end up breaking even, with a rebore. My two shillings!

Anyone have experience with a Big bore shooting And a QLA muzzle crown.

Ive read some produce good accuracy! I like the conical and Maxi. Certainly like to Prb at the target range.

Any experience, info welcome

Ps- Just Becouse it’s a wanted add- Dosnt mean it can’t have some information included about wanted item

Would this change the value? Good or bad?

Thanks gents

Last edited:
Anyone have experience with a Big bore shooting And a QLA muzzle crown.

Ive read some produce good accuracy! I like the conical and Maxi. Certainly like to Prb at the target range.

Any experience, info welcome

Ps- Just Becouse it’s a wanted add- Dosnt mean it can’t have some information included about wanted item

Would this change the value? Good or bad?
From post 10 earlier in this thread.
Had a TC Big Bore with a QLA that was off center with the bore and was horrible in the accuracy department. Sold before correcting, although buyer was made aware of the issue.
Confirmed the QLA was off center with gauge pins and an indicator, although I forget exactly how off center it was. I do remember it was visible if you looked into the bore.

As far as value, could be a sticking point. In my opinion, if you can check before purchase is final, or have access to a lathe to correct any issue, gun should be a good shooter or at least be made into one. Impact on value up to you, but given a choice, doubt many would pick one with a QLA over one without. I have also heard folks say they would not purchase a TC with the QLA feature…. And for what it is worth, l have a 50 caliber TC with a QLA bore, and it is as accurate as any other TC. I’d call it the luck of the draw.

Good info- appreciate the repost I must have over looked. I think off bore QLA can’t be often, or it would be more common to hear about them. Like you said, luck of draw.

Between buying a used Big Boar or a rebored Renegade (with set trigger), I'd pick the rebored Renegade every single time. With the Renegade you will have a better trigger, a brand new bore (vs the chance of getting a bore that was poorly maintained), longer twist rate for patched round ball, and deeper grooves for shooting patched round balls. You can even take it to a local laser engraver (they're virtually everywhere now) and have a Big Boar logo engraved on the barrel as well as getting "58 cal" engraved on the barrel. Even if the price was the same (and odds are the rebored Renegade will be less) I would still go with the Renegade.

Just my two cents opinion, which is worth just that.

Seems like others would agree and choose same path

Yet, From what I’ve read- Single trigger Big bore model gets spoken highly off. Not many talk down about it vs other models.

Just opinions, and they Vary.

Between buying a used Big Boar or a rebored Renegade (with set trigger), I'd pick the rebored Renegade every single time. With the Renegade you will have a better trigger, a brand new bore (vs the chance of getting a bore that was poorly maintained), longer twist rate for patched round ball, and deeper grooves for shooting patched round balls. You can even take it to a local laser engraver (they're virtually everywhere now) and have a Big Boar logo engraved on the barrel as well as getting "58 cal" engraved on the barrel. Even if the price was the same (and odds are the rebored Renegade will be less) I would still go with the Renegade.

Yeah, you might be 100% right about that! I was just replying to the OP as the gentleman was requesting a TC BB, not a re-do. I will spend the money and get the BB and then get a Renegade and rebore it, How about that?? After all, the only thing we taking with us when we are called upstairs is the powder that we had burned along the way and the memories that come with it!

Eloquent
Yeah, you might be 100% right about that! I was just replying to the OP as the gentleman was requesting a TC BB, not a re-do. I will spend the money and get the BB and then get a Renegade and rebore it, How about that?? After all, the only thing we taking with us when we are called upstairs is the powder that we had burned along the way and the memories that come with it!

Went for about $650 on Gunbroker.

In my Opinion,looks like a no nonsense Meat and Potatoes Hunting rifle. Serious caliber for Putting game down!

A Real 440gr would certainly be felt in on of these lighter weight rifles.

Had a TC Big Bore with a QLA that was off center with the bore and was horrible in the accuracy department. Sold before correcting, although buyer was made aware of the issue. He just had to have that Big Bore. Trigger was rough at best, similar to many other single trigger TCs, but with a little work, not that bad. They have some collector value, but the one owned wasn’t an impressive shooter like the couple Hoyt 58 TCs rebores I have.
Hard to beat a Hoyt!

Since I started this thread, I did acquire one from a member. A nice older Non QLA model. Very easy to Carry, light weight (Like a carbine) and Accurate. I certainly understand why they are difficult to get, People don’t want to sell em.

Just got a Peep for it from another nice Member , (Many here) I’ll get that installed eventually. Will be a nice combination for accurately shooting and to get that rear buckhorn removed- directly in way of where I want to grasp the rifle while walking.

4F50C309-57E0-4D26-8A31-C93DD49A2A48.jpeg
989E1167-6659-41E9-9B14-A4100B491B7F.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back