• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

tc 50 cal New Englander

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heres mine. Lock is a direct swap, after the bolster on barrel and tang has been filed off. Plug percussion hole and drill new vent.

S7300415.jpg

Now THAT, is an interesting adaptation,
I don't think I've ever seen one done like that.

What's that divit in the tang and the back of the plug for?
Something unique to the New Englander?

Those are the remains of the percussion "snail" of the tang and breech plug after it has been filed flat for the flint conversion.

I wonder if this can be done on a renegade or hawken barrel? If not I will be grabbing the next 100.00 new englander I see. Oh crud I now want another gun.

The Hawken or Renegade can be converted by changing the patent breech(Track of The Wolf has 'em). In that the NE was never made in flint, this is the conversion. The Firestorm is made in flint, but synthetic stock only, different tang and (removeable) breech plug.

Like promised, I got my N.E. on Friday and had to the range today (Sunday). I fired the Lee Improved Minie & Real bullet and then I tried Stumpkillers load. His load grouped best;
TCNewEnglander002.jpg

TCNewEnglander001.jpg

IMG01336-20121202-1212.jpg

IMG01337-20121202-1212.jpg

And here is my group fired at 100 yards with Stumpkillers load;
IMG01338-20121202-1219.jpg

The trigger was a bit heavy which I'll polish at a later date and see if this improves the grouping.

finished conversion...cap to flint..12 ga.

IMG_0797.jpg

here's two to compare side by side

IMG_0477_1.jpg

My Grey Hawk is a favorite afield. 24" barrel makes it handy in blind or deer stand. Stainless shrugs off moisture and easy to clean. Plastic stock isn't pretty but doesn't get banged up or deteriorate like wood would. Carrys just right and balances fine for me. It has the tang aperture sight as a concession to old eyes.

Pardon the fanboyism, but I felt obligated to point out the GH's pluses. Mine knocked off a nice 7 pt. buck yesterday at sundown with an 85 yard shot. Woulda been an 8 pointer but a brow tine was broken. Figure I owe it.

Sorry, no pix. The camera wasn't in the truck.

I zero it to 100 yrds.It will shoot that with no problem. Once was playing around with on the range and was shooting 200yrds. at an old barrel afterf about 3 or 4 shots I figured out the Ky. windage and waS holding about 6 to 8 inches high, if memory serve me was hitting about 12 inches down on the barrel. Was not trying to get any type of group just hit the barrel. Ihave owned thegunssince 1992, hunt with just about every year. Have only killed One deer with at 5 yrds and that is a cool story, and two turkeys and one groundhog. And a truck ( big ) load of paper targets.

cynthialee said:
in the NE I use 70 grains of 3F, a fiber over powder wad and a .490 ball with .015 prelubed, prefabricated patches, and a cci #11 cap

Minus the fiber wad, I use the same load and get a nice cloverleaf at 50 yards.

On another note, would it be bad to mention that I bought my NE used for $25 about 7 years ago?

D

OK so to plug the percussion hole on my .54 NE..., drill it for a tap, tap it, add a steel screw and some silver solder, cut it off and file it flush, then hit it with the heat, and done? Too many steps or too wrong?

I have a TC lock for a flinter on my shelf that should work.

LD

Just bought a .50 Cal New Englander off of Gunbroker today.
Can't wait to get it. They said I should have it no later than Friday. That means range trip this Saturday.
Let 'er rip. Love making smoke. :thumbsup:

Vearl

Latest posts

Back