• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Taylor vs. cimarron vs. Traditions vs. Pietta?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it worth buying a Taylor or Cimarron revolver over a Traditions Pietta? Are the Traditions Pietta finished worse- you know kind of a Walmart version? I would like to get a 1851 .36 steel frame. I might add that I will have to order it sight unseen.
Taylor's and Cimmaron specify, often, better finishes and more detailing; you pay more because the importer pays more to the factory. If you just want a "shooter", you'd do well with the Traditions, I just wonder if the interior parts are as well fit and polished as the higher-end guns.

I read somewhere that Cimarron import their firearms from Italy et al, trick them up and slap their own brand name on them, correct me if I'm wrong here.
Don't know about back in the day, but I've read the guy who is the honcho at Cimmaron has a desk at the Uberti factory and visits often. Must be a tight connection, and with the modern internet, I bet they can contact each other often. This whole replica business is fascinating; I recall about 1960 when the first Navy Arms Yank and Reb came in; now look at the great selection we have ! It's all fun.

I think it's really to keep "bullet" searchers at bay . . . They're not looking for "boolets".

Mike

Cuz’ they reckons they sounds more like a authentic rusticated frontier type feller thataway …
zz7F349BDAB7C.jpg

"War kin awe gits me sum SOO-positorah boolets roun dees he-yar parch?"

Two quick things. I just got my Pieta 1858 Remington from Taylors and it came in a paper box. Which is fine because I use a holster not a bag. Also I notice the Pieta prices at Taylors went up considerable . They were a quite a bit less in November when I bought mine.

Taylor's and some Cimarron's are Uberti. I don't even screw with a Traditions unless the person says he has to have it! So far I prefer the Taylors over Cimarron mainly because the Taylor's comes in a nice zip up soft case. I've had some sketchy. Pietta's metal burrs inside locking up the cylinder on several. Had 2 Pietta's this year that were flawless so maybe being short staffed the guns spent more time on the bench.
My comment may be a bit slanted since I am a Taylors Platinum dealer.
My Pietta beat itself out of timing with the tine all by itself. Took about 2 revolutions til I could freely rotate the cylinder with just a little opposite force when hammer down.

Pietta is the manufacturer that MAKES the guns sold by those retailers. Of course Uberti (owned by Beretta) is in the mix. Cimarron put Pietta on the map years ago with a large order for revolvers; check the Cimarron u-tube site where some of their history is told. We're lucky there is such a marketing/manufacturing system for these old-type guns!

I recently got a new Taylor's 1858 and it's perfect, shoots perfect. I noticed the front sight is dove-tailed into the barrel. Is that a Taylor thing? Do non-Taylor Piettas come that way?

That's cool if the front sight can be drifted should it be needed! Good luck, great to see you got a 'perfect' product! I like Taylor's stuff, they have a real good business going there!

I recently got a new Taylor's 1858 and it's perfect, shoots perfect. I noticed the front sight is dove-tailed into the barrel. Is that a Taylor thing? Do non-Taylor Piettas come that way?
Most historically themed handguns will not have a removable dove tail they're all built into the barrel. Sounds like a Taylors thing. I'm waiting to get the new python before I get any classic wheel guns.

Most historically themed handguns will not have a removable dove tail they're all built into the barrel. Sounds like a Taylors thing. I'm waiting to get the new python before I get any classic wheel guns.
And to answer your question no Piettas front sighs come whole with the barrel they're welded on.

Back