• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Target Size?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I'm sighting in a rifle off the bench I use a 1-inch dot for almost all my off hand I use a 2 inch.
Here's a target I shot a couple of weeks ago with a Santa Fe rifle at 50 yds. The target dot is 2 inch and I was using a 6 o'clock hold
so the rifle was hitting pretty much point of aim.
IMGP0954.JPG

I can't see the holes in a black and white target at 25 yds let alone any farther. I always use a glow shot target for 50 yds as I can just see the holes at that distance. I've worn glasses since the second grade and my eyes sure haven't gotten any better in all the years since then.

I do all my shooting offhand and need big targets to keep the hits on the paper. I'll be the first to admit I'm no marksman but I still enjoy myself every time out.

Kia Ora Black powder enthusiasts:)
Being from NZ we still have some colonial hang ups Guy Fawkes is one.... I celebrated the attempt on the Britt parliament by having a very quick end of day shoot @ 100meters.
Didn't get dead center:(
Off hand & not a great result, but I got to smell gunpowder 👍💥
Nga mihi everyone.
Have a awesome Sunday Guys & Gals .

Attachments

• 20211106_143726.jpg
    20211106_143726.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 24
Pie pans with a Clay Pigion glued to center (skeet shooter leave their missed clay laying all over around here), old tea cups, or I print my own targets on letter size paper. My steel target is 8" with a 3" red center spot.

Attachments

• Cup-02.jpg
    Cup-02.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 24
I use the smallest bullseye I can focus on at whatever distant I am shooting, 1&1/2 inches at 35 yards, and larger at greater distance.

I really like a half dozen champagne corks scattered out from 8 to 30 yds.... and then with my rifles, i don't think a pie plate is too large at 100 yds...i can make my lyman hit much smaller, but at that distance with irons, it takes so long to aim and concentrate, that i dont feel like it makes any sort of realistic practice...not for my style of shooting at least. Im more into quick, smooth, offhand shots at objects the size of a squirrels head up close, and objects the size of a deer's vitals farther out...any hit is a hit if it makes the target move.

Usually, when I set the sights on a new gun, I've always kind of done 1 inch at 25yds, 2-3" at 50 and 75...and will check it at 100 on a 6-8" to make sure there isn't a windage issue I'm not seeing...but once my sights are set, im done. i just don't enjoy that sort of slow shooting. To me, its painful. I like shooting that mimics hunting shots from different positions offhand.

Since I am on my phone I dont have the link handy to my youtube video but here is a screenshot showing a target I came up with just to fun things up a bit. I like to play with CGI graphics and photoshop.
After reading on Hawk Throwing contests it was discussed that throwing at just a Centered Bullseye the thrower gets dialed in, but when they put a spot also in the four corners now the thrower has to focus more on Aim then just a repetitious arm movement, so I came up with this Arcade style target offering a Straight on shot (the center heart) and the two targets off center left/right and a high target (playing card).

The two whiskey jugs and fur cap are Off Limits, hit one and you lose a turn, which if you are blonde and shooting alone can get a bit confusing...but getting creative just adds to the day and makes other shooters at the range go "What In Tarnation... ?!"

I print it out on four sheets of letter paper (2 across, 2 down) in poster mode then tape it together, place at whatever yardage you can still see all four targets.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211113-215347_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20211113-215347_Video Player.jpg
    749.5 KB · Views: 30
Back