• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Taper choke vs Jugg choke?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiochuck

Lifetime Supporter
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Will reaming out a rifled ML barrel to smooth with a
(20 gauge( 62 cal.) reamer that has the choke built in for a taper choke work as well as creating a smooth bore with a Jugg Choke?
I am only interested in shooting shot not RB
Thanks!
Jim

To remove rifling is not so simple as to run a reamer down the bore. I would want a spiral reamer if you you already close. A straight flute reamer will chatter and not cut smooth. The rifling will catch the reamer blades. TO do a good job you will need a real boring machine. Drill first then ream and polish. Polishing is normally done with ball hones, again expensive. Tapered shotgun bore reamers are very expensive. Bobby Hoyt is the one for the job.

Is the plug thread large enough for the new bore?

Jug vs modern choke? Jug chokes are for restoring some choke to a cylinder bore barrel. They also make loading easier. A full modern choke in a ML is harder to load. You will not get the tightest possible pattern out of a jug choke. That may not be a disadvantage.

The barrel is a .54 cal Colerain swamped with rifling. I have been looking for someone who has the equipment to remove the rifling then I will have it Jugg choked.
I realize it might be easier to replace the barrel however Colerain is not making swamped barrels at this time .
Suggestions as who has the correct equipment to make it a smooth bore?

Last edited:
The barrel is a .54 cal Colerain swamped with rifling. I have been looking for someone who has the equipment to remove the rifling then I will have it Jugg choked.
I realize it might be easier to replace the barrel however Colerain is not making swamped barrels at this time .
Suggestions as who has the correct equipment to make it a smooth bore?
Bobby Hoyt.

Not trying to hi jack the thread but I called Colerain last week hoping to get a turkey barrel. Long story short there will be nothing but straight octagon barrelsvfrom Colerain for the unforeseeable future. If you feel the need to contact them do so by email v and be patient. The man was very nice. I just thought the phone calls could be limited and email only. All good wishes for the owner and employees.

I called last week and learned that- it is to bad for their company at this time -hope all works out well in the near future.
Jim

Unfortunately, our suppliers are drying up. For instance, Green Mountain now has no interest in making most ML barrels. They seem to be more interested in AR barrels. They were my Go-To, I got consistently better accuracy with GM than some others. They made lots of boutique barrels for obsolete guns. It seems the hobby in general is slipping away.

Back