• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tang Screw??????????

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1eyemountainmen

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a Southern mountain rifle in .54 cal. I have owned this gun for 8 yrs. now. It has killed many deer and a few other critters over the years. The problem I am having is it just stopped shooting as well as it did just a year ago. I can still hold a few shots on target but, at 50 yards the groups want to dance. I will hit high then low; left then right. I did not shoot this rifle for a year or so-I was traveling with my job. I have not changed the load and still use the same powder. I now use Speer round balls instead of Hornady. They are still the same diameter. I started checking the sights, they are still tight. The only thing I did notice was the tang bolt was loose. I turn it about 4 1/2 turns. I will shoot it tomorrow to see if this helps. But, do you guys think it would account for my shots being off????

yes it very well could be that.

The only other problem that I had ever had was the wood was pressing against a barrel lug. The lug was slotted for the pin but I didn't allow enough room for the wood movement. This was a 50 cal B-weight barrel, I imagine with a heaver barrel wall I would have never had this problem.

A .54 cal rifle has substantial recoil, if the barrel is not secure, your groups will surely open up, not to mention you may have bent your barrel pins, or loosened the wedges.
You are lucky the stock did not crack in the tang area.
I am sure if you tighten the tang screw. and the pins ( wedges ) are ok, you should be back in business.
Best Regards
Old Ford

LeeC said:
As well as the above, barrel leading can seriously affect accuracy.

Using patched round balls there will be no leading as the lead ball never comes in contact with the barrel.

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

Tighten the screw up & then sandbag the rifle on a bench & see if it is the rifle or the shooter. Put one sandbag under the forestock where you would normally hold it & the other one under the buttstock near the buttplate.
:thumbsup:

Perfect practice makes perfect! I shot a Pederssoli Brown Bess for Years that won more shoots that it lost and all of a sudden, it quit shooting. Never did figure it out, sold her to an re-enacter who was thrilled with her! :grin:

Just take her back to the range and work up a load all over again. Don't try to understand 'em, they are like women, once ya get em figuered out, they change! :blah:

Back