• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

tampion with attached ramrod

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bnail

54 Cal.
Reaction score
anyone ever try using a tampion as the handle for a ramrod?
looking for thoughts on the feasibility/practicality/safety of such an animal.

Wouldn't the rammer have to be too short to reach the breach for the tampion handle to seal the bore? In other words the tampion would hit the muzzle before you could get to the bottom of the barrel.

I don't like tampions anyway because there is too much chance of forgetting it is in the bore causing an obstruction - just my unsolicited opinion.

laffindog said:
Wouldn't the rammer have to be too short to reach the breach for the tampion handle to seal the bore? In other words the tampion would hit the muzzle before you could get to the bottom of the barrel.

I don't like tampions anyway because there is too much chance of forgetting it is in the bore causing an obstruction - just my unsolicited opinion.
I figure you would cut the rod to length, either for an empty chamber, or to accommodate a standard load (hence the "safety" portion of the question)

I'm wondering about the clearance for the tampion when you shove the ramrod into the pipes. Or would you just pull it and drop it before shooting?

It would serve as a second rod and ride in the bore.
there was discussion on the forum a few years ago that dealt with second Ramrods carried in the bore, but I haven't been able to locate anything.

Skagan said:
I like the idea of 'thinking outside the box' because one idea can even spawn other, so I'm trying to get up to speed on this...a couple questions:

Is this a storage idea that uses a tompion which also brings along with it a spare ramrod for use at the range?

Is this for carrying a second rod during hunting trips...a so-called "wiping stick"... with the tompion involved as a means of sealing the bore against the elements while hunting?

roundball said:
Skagan said:
I like the idea of 'thinking outside the box' because one idea can even spawn other, so I'm trying to get up to speed on this...a couple questions:

Is this a storage idea that uses a tompion which also brings along with it a spare ramrod for use at the range?

Is this for carrying a second rod during hunting trips...a so-called "wiping stick"... with the tompion involved as a means of sealing the bore against the elements while hunting?

If you used a threaded tip on the other end of the rod then you could employ it as either a "wiping" stick, or a range rod.

BTW thanks for correcting the spelling "tampion" just didnt look right. :redface:

Back